Which Road Bike for First Half Ironman

Eugene Crous

I am looking to take part in a half iron man and was advised to purchase a road bike, would you recommend a Giant SCR 2 ?

Thanks

what Rocket-Boy said.

nothing wrong with the Giant, but I would recommend something with better gearing esp. if you are doing EL, that 12-25 cassette will HURT you on the bike and eventually the run.

also the 8spd groupset is not ideal and you will struggle to find replacement parts (I run a 9spd and struggle to get parts)

Thanks, what groupset would you recommend ?

what Rocket-Boy said.

nothing wrong with the Giant, but I would recommend something with better gearing esp. if you are doing EL, that 12-25 cassette will HURT you on the bike and eventually the run.

also the 8spd groupset is not ideal and you will struggle to find replacement parts (I run a 9spd and struggle to get parts)

It's more a case of age rather than groupset model. You should be fine with 10 speed, when it comes to parts. 11 would be better as it's newer, but you're going to pay more for 11.

The best thing would be to have a budget in mind and start scouring the classifieds. we can always give you advice if you find something you like.

Being in the WC is great because there are tons of good 2nd hand bikes there.

The best thing would be to have a budget in mind and start scouring the classifieds. we can always give you advice if you find something you like.

Being in the WC is great because there are tons of good 2nd hand bikes there.

Why is that? Why are the good deals always in WC? 9/10 times when there is a good deal it comes from WC.

Edited by peds

Why is that? Why are the good deals always in WC? 9/10 times when there is a good deal it comes from WC.

Tell me about it, most of the time I see something Im interested in its lurking in the WC.

Tell me about it, most of the time I see something Im interested in its lurking in the WC.

Its simply the best place to be for so many reasons :-)

...whee hijack.

Was also considering a 1st attempt at junior ironman but was giving serious consideration to doing it on my MTB (maybe with slicks). 

Do the regulars see MTBs at ironman from time to time? 

...whee hijack.

Was also considering a 1st attempt at junior ironman but was giving serious consideration to doing it on my MTB (maybe with slicks). 

Do the regulars see MTBs at ironman from time to time? 

you can't do 70.3 or ironman on a MTB

not sure about 5150