Max HR, body weight

Gumpole

Especially for Bikemax and the training guru types:

I've noticed that in the last few weeks my max HR seems to have increased.

I was doing a club ride and at the end of it there is a long drag going up towards woodmead on the old PTA road. I was pushing fairly hard but not too much - I felt like I could keep up the pace for a long time. I check my HRM and it says 177. I got a huge fright, this is usually the highest I can get it at the end of a long hard hill. Any way I carried on at 174-179 up this hill and still felt ok.

After this (in spinning classes) I have tried to get my HR up high and can easily get it up to 185. Previously 179 was my highest that I had recorded. I think that my HR has increased +- 10 bpm for the same exertion (or perceived exertion)

I usually weight 71kgs but seemed to have put on a few kgs this winter (despite the Jock training). I was 72/73kgs on the day of the race and since then have 'grown' to 75kgs.

Is the higher HR readings because of the additional weight (the increased HRs do kinda correspond to the increased body weight)?

If I can get my HR this high now, why not previously?

Am I fat and unfit and about to keel over from a heart attck? I feel good on the bike and Witkoppen drive didn't seem to tough last week.

Maybe it's because of the training your body now feels more able to get to these values? You had a limiter before and now that has been removed?

Gumpole

That is not an easy one to explain.

Some things to consider;

1. Are you less fit than last year ?

2. Are you more rested at the moment than last year ?

3. Are you riding faster for the increased HR - in other words, would you simply be pushing harder ?

4. It is very tough to reach MHR and I would not expect you to do it routinely on a ride as it is ussually only seen in a formal test environment. It may be that you have got fitter and as such are able to push closer to max ?

5. Weight - more weight does = more work for the heart to do and so if you are climbing at the same speed you will be working harder and the HR will be higher.

6. Do you have any heart related illness in the family and have you had your BP checked lately ?

7. The fact that you say you can get it to 185 "easily" in a spin class whereas 179 is your highest recorded rings some bells for me and so I would keep a close eye on it and maybe get yourself checked out.

Gummy, What are you now? 50-60 something? I would worry about getting other stuff up Wink... ehehe... are there any HOT chics around when your HR shoots up? I'm suffering with getting my "heart" up... but I think it's more fatigue... that's why the rest. In your case... I remember the days when I used to top 85kg's I used to hit 189...I was also pretty un-fit at this stage... are you bulking?Jason2006-09-28 04:44:55

Guest Michelle

Gumpole:  are you sure your name isn't going to come up on Chunky's bank records? LOL

Damn I mentioned the C-word... oops Pinch

My heart rate has never really gone very high. When i race REALLY hard it goes to 175 to 180 but i rarely see it there.  I have been sick so it goes to about 172 and then i'm crying tears of blood!!! Weight: 66 Resting hr: 48-50.

Gumpole:  are you sure your name isn't going to come up on Chunky's bank records? LOL

Damn I mentioned the C-word... oops Pinch

THREAD HIJACK ALERT!!!! Wink

20 Additional Facts about your Maximum Heart Rate

1. Maximum heart rate does not predict better athletic performance.
2. Maximum heart rate does not predict worse athletic performance.
3. Maximum heart rate does not reflect your current level of fitness.
4. Maximum heart rate is the highest number of beats per minute that your heart can contract in one minute.
5. Maximum heart rate is not affected by your current level of fitness. It isn?t higher if you are more or less fit.
6. Maximum heart rate cannot be increased by training.
7. Maximum heart rate cannot be increased by training eating certain foods, getting stressed out, or drinking energy drinks.
8. Maximum heart rate may be test-day sensitive particularly if you are not properly rested before taking a maximum heart rate test.
9. Maximum heart rate is altitude sensitive, decreasing ~ 1 bpm per 1,000 feet of elevation.
10. Maximum heart rate varies greatly among people of the same age.
11. Maximum heart rate is frequently measured at over 200 bpm in children.
12. Maximum heart rate cannot be estimated by using any mathematical formula.
13. Maximum heart rate is the 100% value or the top of Zone 5, the Red Line Zone in the Heart Zones Maximum Heart Rate Chart.
14. Maximum heart rate can be assessed relatively accurately by using sub-maximum testing protocols.
15. Maximum heart rate can only be sustained for 15-45 seconds before you are forced to stop.
16. Maximum heart rate in adults has been measured as low as 155 bpm and as high as 240 bpm.
17. Maximum heart rate is higher those with a small heart size or mass.
18. Maximum heart rate is often higher in women.
19. Maximum heart rate of an elephant is ~30 bpm and for a hummingbird is ~500 bpm.
20. Maximum heart rate is the anchor point for setting your five Heart Zones Training(Max HR) training zones.

Another one;

Body Position on the Bike will Influence Heart Rate. Let's say I am riding on an indoor bicycle trainer with my upper body parallel to the ground (Hands on the drops) at a heart rate of 145. Raising upright while continuing to cycle at the exact same workload will result in an increase in heart rate of about 5 beats per minute. Trust me I have experimented with this effect on many a winter evening! This is due to decreased venous return in the more upright position. Heart rate increases to compensate for the slightly decreased venous return and stroke volume, keeping cardiac output constant. Whe I return to the drops, the heart rate drops again.
BikeMax2006-09-28 05:10:29

Gumpole

That is not an easy one to explain.

Some things to consider;

1. Are you less fit than last year ?

2. Are you more rested at the moment than last year ?

3. Are you riding faster for the increased HR - in other words' date=' would you simply be pushing harder ?

4. It is very tough to reach MHR and I would not expect you to do it routinely on a ride as it is ussually only seen in a formal test environment. It may be that you have got fitter and as such are able to push closer to max ?

5. Weight - more weight does = more work for the heart to do and so if you are climbing at the same speed you will be working harder and the HR will be higher.

6. Do you have any heart related illness in the family and have you had your BP checked lately ?

7. The fact that you say you can get it to 185 "easily" in a spin class whereas 179 is your highest recorded rings some bells for me and so I would keep a close eye on it and maybe get yourself checked out.
[/quote']

1. I would say about the same. Maybe more fit if anything, although the last 2 months have been fairly easy for me.

2. ditto 1

3. That is the critical thing I guess. Work commitments F$%#$%% have kept me away from Kyalami which is a perfect barometer of fitness for me. I'll be there next week and I can hopefully answer this one.

4. Not much fitter, hopefully I will still improve a lot Star

5. That makes sense. But I dont feel like I am working any harder.

6. none at all. Never had high/low blood pressure. The virgin active measurement machine (forget the name) told me that my blood perssure was well within its limits.

7. I have gone through my training logs and the 179 is actually incorrect Embarrassed. I have reached 183 before, this was doing a 20 minutes hard as I can effort on a IDT, after a decent warmup. The 183 was right near the end of the session. I was pretty fit at the time (near to 94.7) and I felt like i was going to die. I have reached 185 in the last 2 spinning classes without that much difficulty.

Jason - no pretty woman in the office at the moment.. sigh. Not bulking (as in bodybuilding?) the only training I do is road, spinning and a gym circuit (all light weights) twice a week.

current HR - as I sit - 56. It is usually 48-50 when I am 100% fit.

Bikemax, the seeated position maybe true. My HR is always high on hills (generally out of the saddle) or spinning - both more upright positions.

Thanks for the input