Best bike computer/gps?

Gringo

Hi All,

Any thoughts? Budget 5K.

The Garmin Edge 520 looks great but a bit pricey. I like the polar V650 but no navigation maps.

What would be sufficient for a multi stage race?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did the S2C with a Garmin 510.  Worked perfectly for me. It is discontinued but still worth the buy if you can get it.

With all due respect the the hubbers, you can't go wrong reading DC Rainmaker's website http://www.dcrainmaker.com/

He tests all the products and writes comprehensive reviews.

For example, every year he brings out the Best Sports Gadgets Recommendations http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/winter-sports-gadget-recommendations.html

Or just pick two and three brands/models and read his reviews of them.

Personally for me, I like Garmin. But I have used nothing else except those old school "cat eyes".

Depends what you want to do with it. I ride a garmin 500. With no power so it is basically overkill for just a bike computer. If you ride with power and use analysis. Go for 500 and above.
Garmin very easy to use with strava etc.
Else look into the Lezyne GPS computers as well. Seeing rave reviews on it.
Also liking the Garmin 25.

My 2cents worth.

If you want maps, Garmin Edge 520 or 820, or 1000

If you want good value for money and small, Garmin Edge 25

I tried Polar s few years back and IMHO it sucked in comparison to the Garmin.

Garmin 

/end of thread

...with Bluetooth. Wireless syncing/upload after a ride would be great. A definite for my next Garmin.

Garmin is a must!!

If your budget is R5k it rules out the 520 and 810. I used the 500 for years....fantastic unit!!

Edge 500, all you will ever need in a small form factor.

Edge 500 can receive GPX and follow "bread crumbs" of the route. It's not turn by turn.

Hi All,

Any thoughts? Budget 5K.

The Garmin Edge 520 looks great but a bit pricey. I like the polar V650 but no navigation maps.

What would be sufficient for a multi stage race?

There's alot of people who ride multi stage races without any devices ... just sayin'

So do you want heart rate monitor/cadence etc. If so, then the Edge 500 is the cheapest Garmin you can get if I'm not mistaken.

Archived