Anyone shopped from Bike24.com?

Cippo

Bought a lot of items from Bike24 and very happy. If only our local shops (online) will take 20% markup, rather than 50%, we can buy locally.

Drop your prices and be seriously competitive and I can only see that you will have much more sales! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've received 3 shipments from them, all delivered via the SAPO inside 14 days (order date to in my hands). One shipment arrived on day 11. All that in Feb/Mar this year.

Guess I should stop refreshing the delivery tracking page then :blush: With the state of the SAPO currently, I can only hope that once it lands it doesn't take too long

Guess I should stop refreshing the delivery tracking page then :blush: With the state of the SAPO currently, I can only hope that once it lands it doesn't take too long

I've got a package coming from the USA via USPS - it took 6 days from order date to despatch from LAX to JNB. Thursday it's two weeks, so like you I'm not even bothering with the tracking.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to share my positive experience.

Ordered some stuff from www.bike24.com on 14 October. The one item was not in stock, so they had to get it from the supplier. The ordered package was delivered at my door a few minutes ago - 29 October. I was charged VAT and R39 "clearance fee". Would most certainly use them again!!

My most favourite online store.

They keep the nice goodies.....MCFK, Lightweight, AX Lightness etc etc etc.

Bought many times from them without any issues.

Just wanted to share my positive experience.

Ordered some stuff from www.bike24.com on 14 October. The one item was not in stock, so they had to get it from the supplier. The ordered package was delivered at my door a few minutes ago - 29 October. I was charged VAT and R39 "clearance fee". Would most certainly use them again!!

So no additional import duty? 

Just VAT and clearance?

@waveduke: is the Cube finally finished? ;)

Parts don't attract duty in RSA, complete bikes I think 15% and clothing something like 40%. 

If you buy a mixed bag and have some bike shorts in you may be charged duty for the lot so don't mix things up. VAT is calculated for the value of the goods plus the duty.

Edited by SCD

So I also had a very favorable experience from them, ordered odds and ends (grease gun, tyres, bb tool, some brake pads, but the grease gun was the main order as I can't get it out of the local agents and the rest was just to maximize value from the shipping).  Ordered on the 21st October and it was here at the Post Office last Friday, 29th October.

What I did however found interesting is the calculation of VAT and the exchange rate that was used by Customs.  Total on which VAT was charged was the actual products and not on the shipping (nice to know that shipping is excluded).  The products were €136.47 and that translated to R316.19 VAT payable (on top of that was the R39 handling fee), this translates to R16.55/€1.00, the parcel went through Customs on the 27th October and according to XE.com, spot price (not buy/sell price) was R15.20/€1.00. When I purchased on the 21st Oct XE price was R15.35/€1.00 and Paypall charged me R15.66/€1.00.

Does anyone know where Costoms get their exchange rate information from?

Edit:

Okay, to answer my own question.  There is an online SARS exchange rate calculator: http://tools.sars.gov.za/rex/Rates/Default.aspx

This however gives me a rate for the 27th Oct of R15.27/€1.00!

Got screwed here.

Edited by nimthor

So I also had a very favorable experience from them, ordered odds and ends (grease gun, tyres, bb tool, some brake pads, but the grease gun was the main order as I can't get it out of the local agents and the rest was just to maximize value from the shipping).  Ordered on the 21st October and it was here at the Post Office last Friday, 29th October.

What I did however found interesting is the calculation of VAT and the exchange rate that was used by Customs.  Total on which VAT was charged was the actual products and not on the shipping (nice to know that shipping is excluded).  The products were €136.47 and that translated to R316.19 VAT payable (on top of that was the R39 handling fee), this translates to R16.55/€1.00, the parcel went through Customs on the 27th October and according to XE.com, spot price (not buy/sell price) was R15.20/€1.00. When I purchased on the 21st Oct XE price was R15.35/€1.00 and Paypall charged me R15.66/€1.00.

Does anyone know where Costoms get their exchange rate information from?

Possibly a 30 day VWAP?

Possibly a 30 day VWAP?

See my edit, they have a calculator on their website, but it is way off from what I was charged on.

sounds like VAT was calculated at a Roe of R15.04 (vat = 15.4%)

Eur 136.47 x 15.04 = R 2053 (always rounded off)

R2053 x 15.4% = R316.16

also, the Customs rate of exchange is based on the day that is departed origin and not when it arrived at destination.

VAT and duties are calculate on ad valorem value of the goods. (10% added to the value of the goods.)

eg. zar 100 + 10% ad valorem = zar 110 +14% vat = 125.40 after vat on ad valorem value of the goods.