XT vs XTR vs X01 vs XX1

AllAboutRides

Some of the best advice I have received was not to upgrade from an XT / X9 level. Once one gets into XTR / XO stuff, yes, it is the little bit smoother and lighter, but costs increase exponentially. Not only for the initial set up but for maintenance thereafter. Higher end kit is lighter, but not as robust. Wears out faster and costs a lot more to maintain. An XTR cassette is 3.5 times the price of an XT cassette.

I agree with one of the comments above, rather invest the cash in set of fantastic wheels or front fork that will really change the way your bike feels.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you REALLY want to upgrade then I would mix it up with SRAM X01 or XX1 Cassette on XD driver (future range expansion) then an XTR rear derailleur and XTR shifter. Crankset I would go XTR 1x.

2c in die emmer.

Best of both worlds and bang for buck for sure. the SRAM 10t makes all the difference.

Also what Mayhem said.. XTR shifters are amazing...if its the only upgrade you make it will be worth it. Even with dirty cables they just keep giving perfect solid shifts. Its a big step up from XT

I think because XT works well many seem to believe there's no real advantage in XTR..but don't be mistaken. XTR is super robust, stiff, accurate.. and If you compare to XX1, affordable!

I'd go for xtr shifters and a set of Guides. XT rd is perfectly good. Shifters from XT to xtr are a good upgrade, and you can definitely feel the difference.

As an add on, race face next sl carbon cranks. Beautiful cranks

A set of these are being fitted to my bike as we speak

post-523-0-37305300-1457944789_thumb.png

Hi Everyone,

I was going to post a similar topic but seeing that it entails very much of the same enquire whether one should upgrade from XT 2x10 to XT 2x11. or:  

• replace existing parts as and when they are finished with the same

Does the XT 8000 upgrade come in i spec?

Thanks.

A set of these are being fitted to my bike as we speak

You will not be disappointed. Arguably some of the best brakes around. Love mine.

Hi there everyone!

I want to upgrade my current mtb groupset and yes as always weight plays a big role.

Currently running Shimano XT 1x11 and Simano XT brakes.

Best way to upgrade?

*XTR

*XO1

*XX1

Please share thoughts and is it worth spending that extra money for better groupset?

Upgrade your wheelset to carbon. It will be lighter and the stuff nowadays are pretty damn strong. Slap a XD freebody on the new wheelset and run a SRAM cassette, besides getting a better gearing range, even the cheaper SRAM cassettes are lighter than XT. If you want bling replace the XT rear derailleur with XTR.

You will not be disappointed. Arguably some of the best brakes around. Love mine.

I look forward to it.Not cheap though.

Took the plunge and ordered a stealth seatpost as well.

So you already have Enve hoops? I would not spend the $$ on grouupset as the gains are marginal.

Have Roval Control Carbon Wheelset

Have to go with Pure Savage on this one ... maybe not necessarily Enve, but stiff carbon wheelset first.

Already have Roval Control Carbon Wheelset

What bike and what other components do you have?

Like others already mentioned, wheels, tires, cranks, bars, fork, etc are usually easier places to save grams

I have a custom build Epic Sworks WC frame....with full xt components (groupset) Sram Carbon Crank and Roval Control Carbon Wheelset

I have a custom build Epic Sworks WC frame....with full xt components (groupset) Sram Carbon Crank and Roval Control Carbon Wheelset

Okay, in that case, then just the XTR shifter and RSC brakes. Rather wait on splurging until the XT / SRAM electronic stuff comes out. 

And a dropper... :)

Then XTR shifter, RaceFace Next SL crank, Guide RS or RSC brakes. 

I thought shifting gears is all about the rear deraileur and shifter.....so with XTR Shifter and XT rear deraileur i will feel difference?

I thought shifting gears is all about the rear deraileur and shifter.....so with XTR Shifter and XT rear deraileur i will feel difference?

Yes. Difference in how it feels, far more than the difference between what the RD will feel like. It's a tactile difference. Smoother, more silky. Bearings vs bushings and the effect it has on the way it rotates through the shift. 

Essentially, it's a much better upgrade than going for a better derailleur. 

Yes. Difference in how it feels, far more than the difference between what the RD will feel like. It's a tactile difference. Smoother, more silky. Bearings vs bushings and the effect it has on the way it rotates through the shift. 

Essentially, it's a much better upgrade than going for a better derailleur. 

XTR Shifter on 1x11 it is then!!! Thanks dude!!!

Please send me link to where I can buy RSC Brakes???

Archived