Traildogs

dafo

Hi there all. Need some advice from you guys who already take their dogs on trails. What would you suggest will be a decent distance for your dog to run with you without hurting it.

Hi there all. Need some advice from you guys who already take their dogs on trails. What would you suggest will be a decent distance for your dog to run with you without hurting it.

Depends on the dog, and depends on the dog's age. Some are able to go longer than others... 

Adding to Myles' statements - they also need to be conditioned, like we do! Don't start the dog off with a 10k run. They're most likely used to short sprints chasing each other in the back yard over grass for 10 minutes and then going for a lie-down, before one of them goes ape again.

Build up the endurance, even though you think it should be natural. The joints needs some training in endurance, like ourselves if we haven't run for a while. Also their paws are most likely not used to running on much other than grass - and then not for extended times. 

And trust me, they pick up quickly! Only went for a couple of runs with my Ridgeback. And just suddenly the other night she just never wanted to stop during a 5k jog. She detests wetness, though, so I suspect the Lab will be starting his training shortly! 

Oh, and be (esp. high) temperature conscious! Not only are their paws bare, but running with their coats... 

And another last one - please don't hurt the dog by running before he is fully grown. Maybe smaller breeds are better, but large breed dogs can very easily damage hips and elbows if running while those joints are still developing. Again - huge difference between doing a couple of spins on the grass in the yard vs even running 5k non-stop or almost non-stop.

Depends on the dog, and depends on the dog's age. Some are able to go longer than others... 

Also depends on the dogs age and what time of the year it is. My huskies are 5 years old. They can run for longer now than they could say 2 years ago.

In summer I don't do long runs with them. In fact, when its really hot I don't run them at all.

I walk or jog them with occasional short sprints because they love going flat out. They drink lots of water when its hot out. About 2 litres between the 3 of us in an hour or so. Then some more when they get home. 

Our runs vary in time and distance and pace but they can quite comfortably do 10km in cool weather. The longest run/walk I ever took them on was 14km. They were fine. Didn't seem tired at all and never stopped for a break unless I wanted to. I don't think I would go further than that though. Just make sure you have lots of water and/or that you can get some along your route.

As other have mentioned be careful depending on the breed and age.

Your dog will run itself into the ground trying to stay with you, because its what they do.

Some dogs though are great for it and will have a blast with you on the trails. Just be very mindful of heat, dogs cant regulate their temps like we can and its pretty dangerous for them if run too long.

We've got two German short haired pointers, and ride and run with them. They're machines. We only started doing distances of more than 2kms when they were around a year old and built it up slowly.

Now on a cool day in Hilton when there's mist they run with us on our bikes for 2 to 3 hours, and probably do twice the amount of distance as us running back and forth. In the heat they struggle without water but can still easily manage 15km. They do have the bodies for it though. They absolutely love it.

post-58662-0-77886900-1458074725_thumb.jpg

post-58662-0-21560600-1458074738_thumb.jpg

Guest notmyname

English Bulldog - 25m

Jissie, are you planning on hitting the trails with oumas old wheelchair?

We've got two German short haired pointers, and ride and run with them. They're machines. We only started doing distances of more than 2kms when they were around a year old and built it up slowly.

Now on a cool day in Hilton when there's mist they run with us on our bikes for 2 to 3 hours, and probably do twice the amount of distance as us running back and forth. In the heat they struggle without water but can still easily manage 15km. They do have the bodies for it though. They absolutely love it.

attachicon.gifDSC_0016.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0014.JPG

Thank you very much Simon and SeaBee for the comments. My companion is a male border collie that is a whole three years old, sorry for not posting it from the start. Luckily I do have a little expierence with dogs, was just curious to get your guys comments also. We have a wonderful singletrack here by us and soon he will accompany me, was just not totally sure about the distance that will be safe for him but you've answered my questions. Thanks again and happy trailriding with your dogbuddies.

Thank you very much Simon and SeaBee for the comments. My companion is a male border collie that is a whole three years old, sorry for not posting it from the start. Luckily I do have a little expierence with dogs, was just curious to get your guys comments also. We have a wonderful singletrack here by us and soon he will accompany me, was just not totally sure about the distance that will be safe for him but you've answered my questions. Thanks again and happy trailriding with your dogbuddies.

I had 3 collies over the years. Collies are fast and don't know when to stop if they are having fun . They tend to overheat themselves. Also the pads on his feet will have to adjust to different terrain. Start with small distances and take water for him. He is a suitable age and probably fizzing with energy. Enjoy.

Oh, BTW I run with mine, not ride! When riding take extra care to watch their condition. 3y is perfect! 

But Border Collie - can't imagine them not loving it, once they've adapted to endurance runs.

A three year old Collie is a perfect trail dog. Autumn and winter is a great time to start as it is cooler. Overheating is the main danger. Go early when it is cool. If possible take a route with a stream or 2 where he can drink and cool down. Shaded forest routes are the best. Otherwise take along some extra water for him. Most Collies should run 5-8 km without any trouble, even when unfit. Just don't push the speed, rather try ride at his pace. Watch him and if he starts to lag behind or stop while you carry on, it is a sign that he is struggling. Build distance up slowly, but within a couple of weeks 10 km should be possible. I think Collies are easily good for 15 or even 20 km with regular training. Longer than that is also possible, but then they will need breaks, water and you will have to slow down, especially on the downhills. Stay off tar and over longer distances, or with regular running, check his pads. They will run it raw if you do too much too suddenly. For extreme distances and terrain, get some dog booties (Google is your friend). Enjoy!