What Mtb brakeset

legend 47

Opinions on MTB brake set please.

Magura 8 or Sram XX, anything else as an option ?

Not happy with Formula, noisy and not smooth.

SRAM Guide. End of thread. 

Unless you like working on your own brakes.  Bleeding them is as horrible an experience as any other Avid.

They do feel good when working well though.

Unless you like working on your own brakes.  Bleeding them is as horrible an experience as any other Avid.

They do feel good when working well though.

huh. No problems bleeding mine... 

huh. No problems bleeding mine... 

No problem, but they're the same as every other Avid.  Nowhere near as easy as a Shimano or Hope.

I have always been a SRAM fan and have only heard good things about the Guides.

Very happy with my X0, so Guide could only be better.

SRAM Guide. End of thread.

Not quite.... Guides are good, so are ANY current Shimano hydraulic brakes. Shimano's have the advantage of a simple one-way bleeding system ( which they seldom require as they are rock-reliable if fitted and maintained correctly) and in addition, they use mineral oil which has several advantages :

1) it has a longer shelf-life and does not deteriorate over time by absorbing water

2) does not damage paint on your bike or components if it spills/leaks

3) in a pinch you can use alternative mineral oils such as a thin fork oil or industrial/automotive hydraulic oils without damaging the seals (but never use DOT brake fluids). Ideally flush and refill with the pink stuff when you get home.

4) avoids the problem of having to keep dedicated bleeding equipment and syringes in your toolbox for your different systems such as brakes with DOT fluid and dropper post (mineral oil).

Not quite.... Guides are good, so are ANY current Shimano hydraulic brakes. Shimano's have the advantage of a simple one-way bleeding system ( which they seldom require as they are rock-reliable if fitted and maintained correctly) and in addition, they use mineral oil which has several advantages :

1) it has a longer shelf-life and does not deteriorate over time by absorbing water - Not a problem. If it's continually used in vehiicular systems, which have far higher operating temperatures, this property is often overblown and is not a reason NOT to get Dot fluid systems. 

2) does not damage paint on your bike or components if it spills/leaks - wet cloth. 

3) in a pinch you can use alternative mineral oils such as a thin fork oil or industrial/automotive hydraulic oils without damaging the seals (but never use DOT brake fluids). Ideally flush and refill with the pink stuff when you get home. - Same. Automotive DOT fluit works. 

4) avoids the problem of having to keep dedicated bleeding equipment and syringes in your toolbox for your different systems such as brakes with DOT fluid and dropper post (mineral oil). - Not a problem. It's 2 different sets of syringes - is that really an issue?

Shimano XT or XTR end of thread

No bleeding fit and forget only problem like I had if you break off a leaver you cannot buy parts and must replace entire mechanism

Archived