Calling everyone who has rebuilt their shimano external BB

BaGearA

I rebuilt mine today with 6805 bearings from centurion bearing supplies , i know they are slightly thicker but now the crank wil not go through and i wil not just keep hammering it at the risk of fu*king up my frame

I rebuilt it because the worthless piece of shi* just lasted 8 months with minimal riding time

so any advice or should i just go buy ANOTHER BB ??

Please any help appreciated 

If your crank won't go through then you have used a bearing with a smaller inside diameter!  Measure the old bearings properly and try to get the correct size.

If i have to buy a new one recomend something that has replacebale bearings or that wil last a decent amount of time

Done this many times and works perfect. Even gone to a stainless bearing wich has been silky smooth for the past year and half now ( at a premium cost though) and the stainless can take riding through deep water without any issues.

More than likely you have the incorrect bearings. Measure with a vernier or take old ones to bearing supplier.

If you need help I'm not that far from you.

If i have to buy a new one recomend something that has replacebale bearings or that wil last a decent amount of time

It probably looks like they are the same size but logic says that if they were then the crank would fit.  A few thousands of an inch would make a difference and would be difficult to see unless you can read a vernier properly.  I would also suggest using the correct thickness bearings.

The codes are the same the one only has d and the other r at the back, what this means is the one is sealed at both sides and the other one only on one side , shimano supply them with only one side sealed (i think this is why they seize so fast ) the other is slightly longer but evrything else is the same which confused me as to why the crank won't fit.... will get intouch ampandy

HOWEVER   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:   I tapped the bearings out and pressed them into some old aerozine BB cups i have and now the crank is spinning smoother than a Baby's ass , only problem is the cups are very beat up , so when the time comes that i need to replace them I wil figure something out with the shimano's  but since my bearings are now super sealed I doubt I wil have problems very soon

thanks for all the replies

happy trails 

I was also shocked at how quickly the bearings tart to run rough.

I rebuilt my BB using the original bearings. Tapped them out and pulled off the seals and everything so that I could clean properly. Assembled again using wheel bearing grease. Before I installed the BB again I drilled a hole in the BB shell (frame) for the water to drain out. Not sure if the draining hole or grease made the difference, but the bearings have been running longer than before it was rebuilt.

Had the same problem, the bearing is slightly wider. The dust cap of the bearing have a lip on the inside that wont go through the new bearing. Grind it of with a bench grinder and your problem is solved.

Use the Enduro 2437 bearings.  They are 24 mm ID so you don't need the plastic cap that goes into the 6805 bearing.  If you buy them in the BB kit pack they come with seals as well.

Archived