The Spruit - Start Point And Distances

PietSw

My ride group has never had an issue riding from Kyalami to Emmarentia (weekends), or from Petervale (park at Cyclowork bike shop) to Emmarentia midweek.

The Petervale route start is safer from a traffic and river "inhabitant" perspective, and we regularly see kids and runners on this route. Another starting/parking point is Riverside shops on Bryanston Drive - also safe parking and an enjoyable ride.

We never ride alone and keep our eyes open wherever we ride.

Our coffee stops are either the Trailhead or Citizen Café in Blairgowrie.

Edited by Nplus1

My ride group has never had an issue riding from Kyalami to Emmarentia (weekends), or from Petervale (park at Cyclowork bike shop) to Emmarentia midweek.

The Petervale route start is safer from a traffic and river "inhabitant" perspective, and we regularly see kids and runners on this route. Another starting/parking point is Riverside shops on Bryanston Drive - also safe parking and an enjoyable ride.

We never ride alone and keep our eyes open wherever we ride.

Our coffee stops are either the Trailhead or Citizen Café in Blairgowrie.

Citizen has closed and is now a health shop.

Citizen Café may have changed in name but the same premises are still serving great coffee & breakfast. And they have new, metal bike racks :)

It doesn't look like much different to me.

• 2 years later...

Could ride from Paulshof, up Witkoppen and then right onto Main and stick to the very large wide shoulder to Kyalami. As an idea. 

Also, to me, the bit from Bryanston to Paulshof is super dodgy and I would rather exit the spruit at Hamilton avenue in Bryanston/Paulshof, ride up the hill to Cambridge road, right into Cambridge and then left into Witkoppen. 

Edited by Sydd

• 6 months later...

Hi Everyone

I recently re-located form CPT to Joburg.

I stay near Sprocket & Jack in Blairgowrie and was wondering if there were any group rides in that area that I could maybe join as I don't know any of the trails yet?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 year later...

Hello Folks, 

Just resurecting an old thread to see if the spruit trail is still ride-able from a safety point of view, and also if these last few weeks of rain hasn't washed half of the trail into Harties dam yet? 

Still acceptable to start from the old trailhead area? 

T.i.a, 

Mj

Hello Folks, 

Just resurecting an old thread to see if the spruit trail is still ride-able from a safety point of view, and also if these last few weeks of rain hasn't washed half of the trail into Harties dam yet? 

Still acceptable to start from the old trailhead area? 

T.i.a, 

Mj

No help here I'm afraid, I also want to run the thing again, but I'm worried it will be a total mud-disaster given the weather. Also the grasses must be epically tall. They've been clearing bits and pieces of the land/trail but I doubt its made an impact.

There were a slew of sad stories about safety near Delta side if I remember correctly just before level 3, but I don't know, its up to you, there are probably worse places to go.

Yeah, thanks Chris. I'll dig around a bit and see what news I can find out.

(although family friends were mugged in delta not too long ago... You know, usual phone snatching etc. Didn't help the lady kept it in her back pocket as most do these days ????)

I rode on my own Monday afternoon/evening, from Northcliff to Conrad and back.......my usual weekly ride! No issues, a bit muddy here and there........

Hey

There have been a couple issues on the route from the trail head down to Riverclub at the long concrete bridge. Not too many issues going up from the trail head to Alberts Farm but I would suggest you ride in groups of 3 or more and weekends are much better.

We normally ride it twice a weekend and I'm sad to say it just isn't as safe as it was before lock down. The CAP patrols help but there are some sections where they can't get to.

All that said the trails have been awesome and really well maintained so enjoy them.

Marc