29 MTB for a lady

ycowley

What would you suggest I look at re a 29 MTB for a lady (1.68m tall or short whatever).

Looking to spend no more than say R15,000

Hi, I am a lady, 169 cm tall. I'm selling my Momsen AL729 29er hardtail, medium frame (just bought a dual suspension). It's a 2012 model so a few years old but no issues and has been awesome - ridden one Berg and Bush and a few races and rides around Joburg. Its got tubeless tyres but doesn't come with pedals. Looking for around 11k. Let me know if you're interested

Hi, I am a lady, 169 cm tall. I'm selling my Momsen AL729 29er hardtail, medium frame (just bought a dual suspension). It's a 2012 model so a few years old but no issues and has been awesome - ridden one Berg and Bush and a few races and rides around Joburg. Its got tubeless tyres but doesn't come with pedals. Looking for around 11k. Let me know if you're interested

Thanks. Where are you? Has it got the tubeless conversion?

Thanks. Where are you? Has it got the tubeless conversion?

At your height you should more than likely be looking at a small.  Be carefull with regards to sizing.

Merida dual sus ninety nine 1000

very good condition

tubless ready tyres

15.5 inch  or 39cm

Hi, I live near Rosebank and work in Woodmead. Yes it has the tubeless conversion. You're welcome to come have a look or ride it around a bit if you want. Based on my recent bike shopping research, 168/9 cm is exactly on the cusp of small and medium and quite a few brands don't make small 29ers or stock is limited, which is why I got the medium. But yes, you could also consider a small. It also depends on your leg / inseam measurement (i.e. you can be short but with long legs). Anyway, just send me a message if you want my number / address etc.

My wife is 165cm and she is on a small Merida Big Nine 1000 lite (29er hardtail). I dont know if she has long or short legs but she just makes it over the toptube when standing, almost a bit too close for comfort.

Another piece of advice, dont go woman specific as when you want to sell that bike you limit your market.

Hi

All the brands are different. I would say for your length looking at a most bikes a small frame but something like a ladies mtb specialized a medium frame.

The top post is the big thing to look at.. Yes your length and inner leg measurements say medium but we as women 90 % of the time need a shorter top bar.

Less lower back problems and more in control off the bike.

Hi

All the brands are different. I would say for your length looking at a most bikes a small frame but something like a ladies mtb specialized a medium frame.

The top post is the big thing to look at.. Yes your length and inner leg measurements say medium but we as women 90 % of the time need a shorter top bar.

Less lower back problems and more in control off the bike.

I also fell in between a small/medium - I went with medium - Although my bike is ladies specific, having now ridden a small bike, I regret going for the larger bike. The smaller one - that thing about being the captain and not a passenger is true, feel more in control with it, abs standover height... Yeah more is better,I don't care what anyone says.

My wife is 165cm

Another piece of advice, dont go woman specific as when you want to sell that bike you limit your market.

Tend to disagree. 1st prize is comfort/fit and for some/many women that may involve a women specific bike.

After-sale: the normal £1m question - sure u would like to be more mainstream but we're you happy until then? There is a SC carbon S frame for sale @R30k which I think is a bargain but ad a 29er it is a step to far (for my wife). Comfort for the rider has to be foremost. Sale secondary imo

My wife is 169cm and on a 650b medium trance which se loves we tried the 29ER but she hated the slow unresponsive feel of the 29ERs. Yes the travel is to much for her but for comfort there's non beter and every ride she has been getting faster. It's all about personal preference take her to a decent bike shop to test a couple of bikes and sizes and then start looking for a bike.

My wife also didn't like 29er so we went 650b shopping. In the end we fot a Scott Scale Contessa (womens spec) running Deore with a SR XCM for from CycleLab on sale for R10k. She is 1,7m tall and fits perfectly on a medium womens spec. Fulle agree that fit is mych more important due to everyone's different bodies. Rather get measured for a few different bikes and get the one that fits best, there's no point in having a good bike that's uncomfortable. There should be quite a few bikes in that budget range.

Archived