DH trails in SA

N1k

Something towards Whistler in BC Canada

Lifts, maintained trails and stuff like that.

We have three shuttle-friendly trail networks in Western Cape. Helderberg is a international quality Park (good enough for Andrew Neethling and Lecondeguy) and then Paarl and Cascades Manor (also in Paarl) have proper trails to get your jollies on.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know it doesn't snow in SA in winter like in Whistler etc hey?

Unfortunately there are no "bike parks" as such in SA. The only lift access biking is in Lesotho and It's a T bar with 120m of vert. Trust me you'll be dissapointed. 

In the Western Cape we've got Helderberg which has some really fun stuff and the closest (IMO) to a proper bike park with multiple lines, proper jumps and real vert. There's also Paarl and Cascades. All shuttle friendly but Helderberg gets my vote for the best gravity trails in the Western Cape.

Oh and the views are ridiculous too.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

You know it doesn't snow in SA in winter like in Whistler etc hey?

You know where it does snow.... 

New Zealand! 

You know where it does snow.... 

New Zealand! 

HA has not even started wearing gloves on morning rides yet.... she won't notice the snow....

Hey N1k welcome dude.

Unfortunately SA does not have any bike parks that are lift accessed, or are even DH orientated for that matter. Some of the new trails that Duane mentions in the Cape come close. but in SA we just dont have the sustained elevation (or skiing facilities) to utilise for bike parks.

In most parks in KZN you can shuttle but this is private shuttling and you would then need to know the trails as most DH orientated trails are more like "secret trails" and are generally unmarked and not well signposted. The largest elevation variation we have in KZN is at Cascades in Pietermaritzburg on the old world cup track - but this is closed at the moment as they are felling the trees in the forest where the track is built.

In JHB your best bet for gravit orientated riding would be Hakahana, or Helderkruin, but again, these are only shuttle access and I am not sure how private shuttling works in both instances.

As Duane says the Cape has some good stuff, but even there we do not have the elevation drop you get at international bike parks ...

Best thing to do is go to a shuttle day and have a jol with the guys riding. The tracks here are WAY shorter than overseas, but as long as you dont go out expecting to ride a Whistler or Morzine you will have great fun on what we do have here in SA.

The largest elevation variation we have in KZN is at Cascades in Pietermaritzburg on the old world cup track - but this is closed at the moment as they are felling the trees in the forest where the track is built.

400m+ at Steilte. BOOM!

Edit: I've been begging Jan & Duran to build a Zore Tutti Fruiti style flow/jump trail and Last Week it looks like they've started.

It's hard to tell from the pics but the berms in picture are about 1.5m high and flow into a steep section where there will be jumps and step downs.

Jan is also planning on continuing the current "black" dh trail down to the kiosk. He and duran have scoped out some proper gnar with granite rocks. It sort of fades into a vlou/flow trail currently

post-83454-0-37103800-1460978283_thumb.png

Edited by Duane_Bosch

400m+ at Steilte. BOOM!

Edit: I've been begging Jan & Duran to build a Zore Tutti Fruiti style flow/jump trail and Last Week it looks like they've started.

It's hard to tell from the pics but the berms in picture are about 1.5m high and flow into a steep section where there will be jumps and step downs.

Jan is also planning on continuing the current "black" dh trail down to the kiosk. He and duran have scoped out some proper gnar with granite rocks. It sort of fades into a vlou/flow trail currently

attachicon.gifZoar 2.png

Spring is going to be pretty radical!!  Although with the mexican living in a van all winter, this will prbably not get finished before his return hey?

Spring is going to be pretty radical!!  Although with the mexican living in a van all winter, this will prbably not get finished before his return hey?

Ja. It's pretty much a race against time now. Hopefully there's plenty of rain before his departure.

Ja. It's pretty much a race against time now. Hopefully there's plenty of rain before his departure.

Wednesday and Friday have big downpours and some more next week.  Hope it stays around.

Thanks a bunch for the info guys!

I dont really mind the no-lift access but i dont know anyone in the "scene" locally so its a bit problematic to arrange a ride with other guys since i dont know anyone hahahaha :D

Thanks a bunch for the info guys!

I dont really mind the no-lift access but i dont know anyone in the "scene" locally so its a bit problematic to arrange a ride with other guys since i dont know anyone hahahaha :D

Dustin and a bunch of others will be riding Helderkruin in Roodepoort on Saturday from 9am. I suggest you join them and get involved as they are leading the DH charge here in Gauteng. You missed a great event at Heldekruin this past weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1676898132559396/?ref=br_rs

That should give you a bit more info...

afriski is your only bet bro... R1800 for a trip exclu booz. great trails and lifts. you missed an awesome event at helderkruin for the dustin rudman in=nvitational and ppl to speak to about downhill.