[Event] 947 Cycle Challenge 2016

SWAGG

Kyalami lap adds time. Straight up M1 vs inner city loop could be quicker so not much difference I think.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyalami lap adds time. Straight up M1 vs inner city loop could be quicker so not much difference I think.

Google Earth shows 1488m of elevation, without know the exact details inside Kyalami race track.

It's a tight squeeze in/out.

post-1372-0-76886300-1469097215_thumb.png

2014-15

post-1372-0-07782300-1469108592_thumb.png

Given that the elevation is similar on Google Earth, the assumption can be made that irrespective of the device used, the elevation gain should be similar.

Sure, the speed coming down and passing Kyalami vs turn in/out may be different, but the route as a whole is the pretty much the same. I'd expect the times to be very similar with the early bunches, and perhaps a tad slower in the later groups.

Edited by geraldm24

Think it might be a tad slower. Normally you gun it on the downhill past the Kyalami entrance reaching speeds of 70km+. Now you can't gun it and must turn in do a few climbs and comming out you do not have the momemtum of the downhill speed. The loop in the city can be done with some more speed compared to the climbs on the track.

Wouldn't happen to have last year's profile, would you?

Yes, I do. Will post it later (need to crop the second lap out).

How do they think the left turn onto Carr Street off-ramp will work coming of the M1?

This was done in previous years, a very sharp left turn

Wouldn't happen to have last year's profile, would you?

Yes, I do. Will post it later (need to crop the second lap out).

I posted the 2014/15 route under the 2016 post (#68)

How do they think the left turn onto Carr Street off-ramp will work coming of the M1?

It was prior to 2008, as I don't have GPS data prior - 2002 was the first year on the M1, but we use to turn off at St Andrews offramp and straight onto Jan Smuts.

The turn isn't that bad, it just slows your momentum down briefly.

That looks more like a switchback than a left turn! :blink:

No more through town? Much more boring in my opinion. A pedal around the Northern Suburbs of Joburg. I liked Ghandi Square and the rest of it. Took a bit of bike handling skills. An element of risk. Something to look at.

I think I might skip it this year.