CRC order

varkie2

Remember,Duties differs on all products. Some goods have no duties attached. If you want, I can mail you a up to date Tarrif book where you can see what goods attract duties and how much etc... Or just download it from sars.gov.za website via Primary legislation link.

Thanks, I'm aware of that. For cycling gear in general I've never paid  more than 20% duties though. But for my other weaknesses like photography/audio equipment and knives: forget about it - it's 30% and upwards.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I'm aware of that. For cycling gear in general I've never paid more than 20% duties though. But for my other weaknesses like photography/audio equipment and knives: forget about it - it's 30% and upwards.

And some of that also attrack Schedule 1 P2a and 2B. And that's what's killing the imports. But on the other hand it protects our local industry.

You get charged 40% on anything that can be considered clothing. Because a helmet has fabric inaide it's clothing, I think saddles even get nailed with 40%. 15% for bikes, tools and bike parts no duties just 14% vat.

As an FYI, I saw a Bell 2R (black/grey with chin guard) at Finish line cycles for around R2700 (If i read the price right!!)

Edited by NukeproofPeanut

Not intended as a hijack ....

To those without a Moola-tree in the front/back garden.

I recently purchased components from CRC, and purely out of curiosity tried both payment options to see what difference there would be, if any, in final price. Paying directly by debit card was cheaper than paying by PayPal. 

Myles, if the taxes that we pay were not being stolen, and frittered away on incompetence and corruption, I would agree with everything you say. Tax is a social contract. The taxpayer entrusts the Government of the day to spend our tax rands prudently and honestly. So, if we are talking ethics, bear in mind that Zupta has broken the contract.

Two wrongs  ... you know the story. In my book the moment you decide to try dodging the system selectively when it suits you, you also forfeit the right to complain about corruption at the braai fire

Not intended as a hijack ....

To those without a Moola-tree in the front/back garden.

I recently purchased components from CRC, and purely out of curiosity tried both payment options to see what difference there would be, if any, in final price. Paying directly by debit card was cheaper than paying by PayPal. 

Yes - they work you on the exchange rate as well. When you pay anywhere overseas via credit card and they ask you whether you want to pay in ZAR or their local currency (GBP,Euro or USD) then always choose local as you will get the banks credit card rates that are better than the store rates as they make a bit on the Forex as well. 

And never buy forex or travellers cheques in advance - always draw from ATM's in country as the banks rate is always better from the ATM withdrawals even with admin fees. Just draw large amounts.

Don't be surprise next time if you "loose" an invoice and Customs charge you 100% of the rate. Were not as gullible as you think. there is a lot of us Custom guys that cycle and we know when someone is trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

Hmm,

FWIW

They used to call the SAR and H policemen at the stations "stasie blompots" in the days when I used to catch the trains. 

I reckon those guys at ORT would make a stasie blompot look pro-active.

So whilst you may think that they are doing their job i must have done upwards of 15 overseas trips in the last two years and have never been stopped for more than a casual ask as to what is in the box/bag etc, on any of those trips by anyone whilst openly carrying bike bags and multiple suitcases as well as other items in boxes.

And legitimately carrying bags i.e. i have been cycling overseas on holiday.  

In fact what I have done is try to ensure that i have had customs clearances when i am carrying hardware for business that needs to be shown to have been imported, only to not be able to find someone to declare it to.

I have been through there with HI FI amplifiers and Speaker boxes on my trolley and have been stopped and asked and I have said what it is - and they have waved me through. So its pretty clear that the airports are not a focus or at least catching Saffers importing some clothes and a handbag or two is not really what these guys are trying to do.

Which i agree with.

R 5k is a lot of imports per trip mate and they have no record so you can do three to four trips a year and they will not detect that you have brought in R 4332 on the last trip and therefore have only R668 allowance left.

Heres the thing - double the limit to R 10k per citizen and then redeploy the guys and use scanning software and things to scan the luggage coming off the planes for your drugs and other contraband that you are interested in. It will remove about 90% of the issues around this and stop you trying to catch the average joe citizen buying a couple of shirts and some perfume which is what 90% of them are doing....