CycleOps unveils the Hammer

News bot

And they would be crazy to secure forex now as the ZARbis projected to gain against a predicted weaker USD by end Q3

Exactly! so if they secure forex now at lets say 15:1 then the rand strengthens and drops to 13/14:1 in September...the pricing will be waaaay out..

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So this unit will only be arriving AFTER winter and price unknown?

Yes, but remember they have done this - like mentioned in the DC Rainmaker review - to accommodate the US and Northern Hemisphere, they release the trainer now in their summer and get all the bugs/production runs sorted before their winter...so yes it won't be available for the southerners winters....

• 9 months later...

Some good news guys and girls......... after a lengthy delay the Hammer and Magnus indoor trainers are finally in stock and making their way to a retailer near you.

Pricing on the Hammer is R21 995.00 while the Magnus is R9 995.00.

More info can be found at www.cycleops.co.za

• 2 weeks later...

Just had my first ride on my new Hammer after waiting nearly a year for it and these are my initial impressions.

Set-up was quick and easy because I am replacing my PowerSync, so it just slotted into place nicely and you just need to re-pair with the head unit, an iPad in my case.

You also have to procure your own suitable cassette.

I jumped on and went straight into a CVT workout and found the Hammer to be very smooth - too smooth actually as it is unrealistic - perhaps like what an indoor velodrome would feel like though even smoother - machine smooth actually.

There was some vibration transferring through the bicycle frame though this may be set-up related - I have not done any trouble shooting as yet.

Is it quiet? - no not really, it produces a high pitched machine like whine - almost sounds like one of those Japanese high speed MagLev trains.

I had to crank up the music to drown it out - much worse at high cadence and will be a problem if you are trying to sneak an early morning workout without disturbing anyone.

On the positive side - it is very stable under my 95kg frame and feels solid and sturdy.

Overall I'm not convinced the wait was worth it but I will need to spend more time on it before making any final decisions.

post-27370-0-45688400-1490792852_thumb.jpg