So did a lap around the dam at Bela Bela this past weekend.  Oh my balls it was cold.  I hope everyone has a wetsuit.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So did a lap around the dam at Bela Bela this past weekend.  Oh my balls it was cold.  I hope everyone has a wetsuit.

Hi DJ, reckon you survived that one. Went for a swim in Krugersdorp just before 70.3 Durbs and my hands were shot blue when I got out. Swimming this time of year isn't a joke.

I heard about the swims in the dam at Bela Bela. How did you get to swim there and is it possible to go swimming this coming weekend?

It was organised between Mad Multisports (Mike) and our club Dare to Tri. We basically did a sprint tri of the entire course (swim bike run). Not sure if its generally open to the public to just go swim. We had to be clear of the water by 9am when they opened the dam to the ski thing.

Tip for anyone feeling uncomfortable(read "slight panic") in the water:

Invest in a swimming coach.

I did a test swim over 50m at the Hillcrest pool, my fastest sprint was 54 seconds.

I have had 1 month of coaching, did a test swim yesterday... 42 seconds! That's a 22% improvement within one month.

I had thought that coaching would be unattainably expensive, but it comes to R400 a month. You get 3 x 1-hour sessions a week. 

These are not one-on-one sessions, I swim alongside provincial-colours school swimmers during the session, so they make me look like the amateur I am.  :whistling:

also did the bela training day, was super! swam a bit at cradle moon lodge dam yesterday, jeepers creepers that water was cold.

lookin forward to the event. all the best to all partaking

Edited by Renier82

good luck to all first timers doing Bela Bela....take a deep breath and enjoy it. Treat is as a training event and don't fixate on time. If you have done the training just relax and enjoy the event.

Chase time when you have a couple under the belt, right now just enjoy the experience.

Good advice.

Also, don't underestimate how hard that ride is and don't forget you still need to get those legs through a 10km run after it.

couple steep climbs 2x laps of them, very true :)

I am looking for some advice from those who have done the research...

I am currently in the market for a TT bike, that would check all the boxes in terms of being UCI compliant. I am also keen on doing the 2017 Ironman and would like a speed machine for this. I know there are bikes which check both boxes and others where modifications may be required - do you have any recommendations/suggestions?

Best value for money?

Best bike hands down? 

I recently wanted an entry level bike for Triathlons and I looked at the Merida Warp, the BMC Time Machine and the Cannondale Slice. I would have liked to consider more but I actually found it hard to find a bike in the right size and price range, without having to wait week's or month's. The Warp had rather poor reviews for crosswinds so that was quickly discarded. The BMC was only available in a shop across state and for more than was quoted by my LBS. So after that very limited bit of research it was the Cannondale Slice. I bought it brand new and quickly took it for a proper independent bike fit so I could return it things didn't size up. The slice is UCI compliant but is specifically designed for Triathlons and what is even better (for me) is that according to the marketing it might lose a little in the aero stakes, but makes up for it in comfort and set up ability. With it being my worst discipline I am hoping helps with my run and so far so good.

Edited by @ndy

Hi guys

How did the tri go yesterday?

Are you referring to the Bela Bela 5150 on Saturday?

Here is a quick summary of my experience: (I already posted it on another thread, sorry for the double reading for some of you)

Swim

With this being my first Tri, the adaptation to that brown water takes a while. On the last stretch I was allot more comfortable, next time will be better. My target was to finish my first swim without too much fuss. 34min is slow, but job done. 

Cycle 

Definitely some challenging climbs, I am glad I was on a full roadbike, that course could have been tricky on a TT. Happy with my time. 

Run

OH my, that run after a bike is never pleasurable. Walked twice, missed my target of completing the 10km under one hour but luckily not by much. Gonna have to work on the run and especially running off the bike. 

Well organised event, I'll be the first to enter again as soon as it opens again for next year. 

Well done to everyone who completed the course in that somewhat surprising heat.(My Garmin recorded 33°C during my run)

Nice one rookie, i also had a blast, bike was good for me, swimming was challenging since i could only do backstroke (still learning freestyle), run was also good for me. 37min swim no walking. 90min cycle and 58min run.

That's a pretty decent time Renier well done.  Was a pretty tough race in that heat.  i must have dumped 20 litres of water over myself in that race trying to stay cool holy poop.

The Ironman is just leaps and bounds ahead of some of the other triathlons i've been to and seen.  Wow super impressed with organisation and support you get. Best value for money race will definitely be doing more of those.

Nice one rookie, i also had a blast, bike was good for me, swimming was challenging since i could only do backstroke (still learning freestyle), run was also good for me. 37min swim no walking. 90min cycle and 58min run.

Well done on completing your first, and in that heat, my garmin topped 34 degs on the run.

For me was a good training session, swim was ok although found in more rough and tumble with a lot of jostling/banging into others (perhaps the groups were bigger, Wave 2)

Bike ride pretty much as previous years although lost my tool bottle twice on the cycle because of the rough road coming back into town and had to stop and retrieve it.

Run was hot and hard and lost time there on what was aiming for.

Maybe it was the heat but the steers burger afterwards tasted like cardboard... at least the beers went down well !!  :thumbup:

Edited by shaper

For me was a good training session, swim was ok although found in more rough and tumble with a lot of jostling/banging into others (perhaps the groups were bigger, Wave 2)

I was in wave 2 as well, the swim felt more like a boxing match than a swim.