Trying to enter the 11 global is a mission, cannot make the payment, is it the idiot between keyboard and chair or their system.

Finally managed to enter after emailing them.

700 for a standard triathlon ,early bird price and being a TSA member is good value I guess. First time doing this one and because of the demise of the Ekurhuleni 5150 I reckon it's going to be bigger than previous years. Sun city is also a great venue for Tri.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I got pretty sick on Monday, round about mid morning. It only really cleared up by Wednesday. I wasn't bedridden or anything, but had no appetite for two days and my stomach was cramping badly.

Probably something in the water, I swallowed some decent quantities of the dam water.

i was sick as a dog! dr, antibiotics,  only managed to start training again on saturday night. not bloody fun

i was sick as a dog! dr, antibiotics,  only managed to start training again on saturday night. not bloody fun

One of my mates was also sick for a few days after Bela Bela... so definitely something in the water!!

Did the questionnaire that was sent out this morning and commented on that many athletes were ill after the event and suspect it was from the swim leg... maybe something will come of it, as there was no issue like this last year

Finally entered for EL Jan 2017 and although most likely a bit late already, I need to start looking at accommodation.

Any suggestions for Hotels that is well located or possible ares if I go the AirBNB route?

many thanks,

Finally entered for EL Jan 2017 and although most likely a bit late already, I need to start looking at accommodation.

Any suggestions for Hotels that is well located or possible ares if I go the AirBNB route?

many thanks,

Hotels that are close by are the Regent and Kennaway. There are some BnB's in Bunkers Hill which is where you will run past. Other than that nearby suburbs are Stirling and Nahoon. 

EL isnt particularly big and despite what Fanie will tell you Gonubie is too far away!! :P

Holiday Inn or Osner hotel are the registration and expo, transition and event hospitality/finish line is next to the Orient Theater (look up on google maps)

So any of the hotels or B&B' between those 2 points you will be in walking distance for the event

One of my mates was also sick for a few days after Bela Bela... so definitely something in the water!!

Did the questionnaire that was sent out this morning and commented on that many athletes were ill after the event and suspect it was from the swim leg... maybe something will come of it, as there was no issue like this last year

Gees I also swallowed a big gulp of water, turned my head to breath and breathed in a wave thanks to the jet ski.  Been out of action ever since.  Finally on the mend but will probably only get back to training on the weekend. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

With the Cape Ultra happening in two weeks, can anyone who has raced in the MiWay Ultra events comment on what to expect at water points?

Just an observation and not really a scientific one at that but while my stamina levels are going through the roof my absolute explosive performance seems to be waning...

Case in point...I seem to be slower in some events now than a year ago but I recover much much quicker and am far less tired after an event.

Does training for long distance Tri events affect "race" performance.... for us middle to the back of the pack athletes?

Most of my training is done solo for all 3 disciplines and pace levels within certain HR ranges.

Another possibility is that I have been training solidly now for 3 years with the only breaks after full ironman events and well my body might be "gatvol" and thus slowing down.

Edited by IceCreamMan

Just an observation and not really a scientific one at that but while my stamina levels are going through the roof my absolute explosive performance seems to be waning...

Case in point...I seem to be slower in some events now than a year ago but I recover much much quicker and am far less tired after an event.

Does training for long distance Tri events affect "race" performance.... for us middle to the back of the pack athletes?

Most of my training is done solo for all 3 disciplines and pace levels within certain HR ranges.

Another possibility is that I have been training solidly now for 3 years with the only breaks after full ironman events and well my body might be "gatvol" and thus slowing down.

Motivation? Maybe not pushing yourself as hard during the race as a year ago.

Motivation? Maybe not pushing yourself as hard during the race as a year ago.

Very valid point this. back to the drawing board.

Very valid point this. back to the drawing board.

Maybe also change up or do something different with your training workouts.  Perhaps you have hit a plateau and need to step it up/alter it.

For me I started recording all my workouts on Golden Cheetah and monitoring my PMC chart (same as many do using training peaks).  I actually found whilst doing my regular workouts that I normally do, my PMC actually showed that my fitness was actually decreasing at certain stages of the year between events, where as I thought I was maintaining or even increasing fitness.

And could well be as Dav/d says motivation to race hard.  Having done an event before, can easily go into treating the event again as training rather than racing

Edited by shaper

Have a read through this:

https://www.google.co.za/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiLtJbauInPAhUCLMAKHQmTCdAQFggaMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftriathlete-europe.competitor.com%2F2016%2F07%2F20%2Fcrank-it-up-inject-some-intensity-to-avoid-the-one-speed-blues&usg=AFQjCNHRVNGPfym5VCy5HbgYyLpSP9YTsg&bvm=bv.132479545,d.d24

Often the training at constant intensity limits your body's ability to up the intensity when needed, like in a race situation.

Had my first slow run this morning after weeks of injury!!  Only a slow 2km but will at least be able to run again tomorrow AM.

Hi everyone! 
Just a shot in the dark, but im doing my first triathlon next weekend (70.3) and my shoulders struggle when im on the drops. I've tried adjusting my set up but i dont want to spend R1000 on a bike fit. Does anyone in the Cape Town area have a set of clip on Tri Bars I could borrow/hire for the race?

Let me know if anyone has a quick fix to not feeling like my shoulder is going to fall off after 20min :)

Thanks!

Hi everyone! 

Just a shot in the dark, but im doing my first triathlon next weekend (70.3) and my shoulders struggle when im on the drops. I've tried adjusting my set up but i dont want to spend R1000 on a bike fit. Does anyone in the Cape Town area have a set of clip on Tri Bars I could borrow/hire for the race?

Let me know if anyone has a quick fix to not feeling like my shoulder is going to fall off after 20min :)

Thanks!

I wouldn't recommend an entire change to your setup so close to a race, but if you have no choice then do the smallest changes possible.  Perhaps doing the bike setup here might help you a little, and it's a free, do-it-yourself option that I've only heard great reviews from.

I find that going to see a chiropractor helps with this sort of problem.  I suffer with sciatica and my chiro makes me feel like a new person after seeing him.