Noob question here! Regarding intensity of cycling intervals on the watt bike. Normally I would do HIIT twice a week and kill myself, but now I'm swimming or running in the morning (because one sport is not enough), so the HIIT bike afternoon workout I can't manage the same intensity. Should I be doing just tempo steady stuff or longer easier sessions? Thanks ahead.

I assume Shaun85 means you were born in 85.... and furthermore I would assume you are fairly fit...

For long distance tri most of you training should be done at lower intensity. The best training is a mixture of slow and steady and high intensity... I would go so far as to say its probably 80% slow and steady and 20% high intensity stuff.

IF your body is tired, it wont work in the same way, the fact your body cant manage the same intensity regularly means you need to take it easier in some sessions and have rest days..

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Noob question here! Regarding intensity of cycling intervals on the watt bike. Normally I would do HIIT twice a week and kill myself, but now I'm swimming or running in the morning (because one sport is not enough), so the HIIT bike afternoon workout I can't manage the same intensity. Should I be doing just tempo steady stuff or longer easier sessions? Thanks ahead.

Where did you do your FTP, on the wattbike or outdoors as it has an effect and they can be fairly different.  Whilst you were rested from only doing a cycling discipline, your body will be fatigued more from doing additional disciplines and workouts every day, so may want to consider reducing your FTP a little as you are in a build phase as a noob, so are building fitness, stamina and endurance.

Also if you are not following a program or do not have a coach try to structure your week to maximise effort and allow body to recover whilst still doing workouts.  Something along the lines of

Monday, Tuesday - Recovery workouts, low intensity and HR Z1

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday -  Tempos and HIIT building through the week

Sat, Sun - Long distance ride and run, majority HR Z2 (endurance) and occasional Z3 Tempo 

You will also build/train  for 3 weeks with a recovery week in the 4th week, recovery week is generally shorter workouts.  If you currently do 1hr workouts or longer during the week, the recovery week will be a mixture of 30-45mins.

Welcome, good luck with the training and enjoy the journey!! :)

I assume Shaun85 means you were born in 85.... and furthermore I would assume you are fairly fit...

For long distance tri most of you training should be done at lower intensity. The best training is a mixture of slow and steady and high intensity... I would go so far as to say its probably 80% slow and steady and 20% high intensity stuff.

IF your body is tired, it wont work in the same way, the fact your body cant manage the same intensity regularly means you need to take it easier in some sessions and have rest days..

Hahaha yup I'm an 85 baby, and would say average fitness!

Thanks for the advice- will def keep it slow and steady! Temptation is to klap it on the bike HIIT sessions as that's where I'm coming from, but the legs just say hell no!

Where did you do your FTP, on the wattbike or outdoors as it has an effect and they can be fairly different.  Whilst you were rested from only doing a cycling discipline, your body will be fatigued more from doing additional disciplines and workouts every day, so may want to consider reducing your FTP a little as you are in a build phase as a noob, so are building fitness, stamina and endurance.

Also if you are not following a program or do not have a coach try to structure your week to maximise effort and allow body to recover whilst still doing workouts.  Something along the lines of

Monday, Tuesday - Recovery workouts, low intensity and HR Z1

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday -  Tempos and HIIT building through the week

Sat, Sun - Long distance ride and run, majority HR Z2 (endurance) and occasional Z3 Tempo 

You will also build/train  for 3 weeks with a recovery week in the 4th week, recovery week is generally shorter workouts.  If you currently do 1hr workouts or longer during the week, the recovery week will be a mixture of 30-45mins.

Welcome, good luck with the training and enjoy the journey!! :)

Thanks shaper! Any particular HIIT bike sessions you'd reccomend? Don't want to over do it.

This is one of my HIIT Sessions

20min Warm up or Team Sky W/u
5mins spin
6min single leg drills (45sec Right/45secBoth/45secLeft/45Both)x2
3min include 3x10sec sprints each min
3mins build to threshold effort
3min easy
Russian steps:
10sec MAX/50sec Easy
20sec MAX/40sec Easy
30sec MAX/30 Easy
40sec MAX/20 sec easy
50sec MAX/10sec Easy
REPEAT X2 (no break)
5min Easy spinning

Edited by Wheelsuck

And another One:

5min spin warm up
single leg (45secR/45both/45L/45both)x2
5min build to desired effort
5x7mins as
5min at AT less 10watts
2min at AT plus 10watts
RI3min
5min spin down
*AT = Anaerobic Threshold

Thanks Wheelsuck those both look doable! Will def give them a try!

Cool have fun-especially on the last interval on the Russian steps, it gets interesting to sustain the wattage.   

Anyone doing race2stanford looking for options to get back to Hermanus after the finish in Stanford !

Hi All, 

Does anyone have experience with Red-x bikes?

I did the Redhub tri 2 weekends ago and Red-x were one of the sponsors there and I was wondering if its worth looking at getting a tri bike from them. Still doing research on which bike to purchase...

Link to bike specs and pricing: https://www.redx-bikes.com/velox-spec 

Anybody doing the Race2Stanford 70.3

I'm getting a little nervous. The weather doesn't look great for the swim and I'm a right-side breather ... ... means somewhere in the loop I'm going to have the spray coming right at me as I breath

I have been training alternating but not comfortable breathing to the left side yet.

I'm doing the race but I haven't really checked out the routes yet. I'm confident in the swim so I don't normally do much of a reccy before arriving at the venue but isn't it mostly in the old harbour? The swell on wind guru is only 1.6, so about as small as could be expected. I just hope the wind doesn't pick up to early for the headwinds riding into Stanford.

Anyone doing race2stanford looking for options to get back to Hermanus after the finish in Stanford !

There are shuttles that I think cost about R60. From what I have heard there is a really good atmosphere in Stanford after the race. So maybe if you stick around you may be able to thumb a lift. I'll be getting a lift back to Hermanus. PM me closer to the time if you are stuck. 

Hi All, 

I did the Redhub tri 2 weekends ago and Red-x were one of the sponsors there and I was wondering if its worth looking at getting a tri bike from them. Still doing research on which bike to purchase...

First have come across them.  Thought might have been a re-branded Trigon, but does not look like.  Nothing on an internet search on them, so presume they are an open mold chinese frame/bike that they brand with their own logo... similar to Cabal bikes.

Impressed to see a 5yr warranty on the frame, most will only do 2yrs.

Probably best to email/phone them and discuss where the frames are from.

Hi All, 

I don't really know SRAM products or the equivalent, but 50 or 60 g's is a good looking entry point for a brand new bike. 

Definitely chinese build-it-yourself wheels. But as far as I've read they really are not bad.

Thanks for the help, would it rather be best going with a better known brand (Argon, Merida, Scott, Felt etc) at a similar price range?