Import duties on bicycle components??

Marlou

I bought a SRAM shirt few months ago. The shirt was about R800 and when it finally arrived at the post office i had to pay annother R790 something for customs fees. I ordered from england. To careful now to order from abroad again. I thought a courrier was gonna bring it.

There are a couple of UK based stores using Parcel Force/Royal Mail who then partner with SAPO/EMS.

It can become frustrating particularly when they've created a different expectation, and invariably charged you accordingly.

Waited more than a month recently after being told it would be a couple of days.

As stated in a different thread, shop at stores using leading couriers (UPS/DHL etc) for better delivery services.

I bought a SRAM shirt few months ago. The shirt was about R800 and when it finally arrived at the post office i had to pay annother R790 something for customs fees. I ordered from england. To careful now to order from abroad again. I thought a courrier was gonna bring it.

This is not a post office or courier thing, it is a shirt thing.

No matter who brings it in you pay duty on clothing.

This is not a post office or courier thing, it is a shirt thing.

No matter who brings it in you pay duty on clothing.

Lots and lots of duty on clothing... I made that mistake once as well.

I've also made that mistake once.  I nearly cried when I went to pick up my package at the PO.

Yep and shoes etc. Be very careful with the customs code. SARS will always classify an item to maximize their tax revenue. They normally go from general classification to more specific. E.g. cycling shoes fall in the broad shoe category and then more specifically sport shoe etc. So in the shoe category you will be nailed bigtime with duties.

Archived