Belgium Tour stage 3 abandoned after motorbikes cause big crash

gummibear

The third stage of the Baloise Belgium Tour was called off part-way through after a big crash, which was caused by two motorbikes, left numerous riders needing medical attention. 

Race organisers told Cyclingnews that the crash occurred on a descent some 65km into the stage, when one motorbike collided with another that was at a standstill, sending both into the bunch of riders. The stage was initially neutralised and then abandoned altogether. 

The Cofidis team reported that 19 riders were involved and that 11 of them were taken to hospital. 

Among the most serious seems to be Lotto Soudal's Stig Broeckx, who has reportedly taken a blow to the head and has been taken to Aachen hospital. The Belgian rider was hit by a moto earlier this year at Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne. 

More to follow

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2015/05/18/2/sptdw3116_1__670.jpg

again?!?!? this crap has to stop now. There must be a better way to get video coverage or at least less bikes with better trained drivers.

For a pro cyclist that kind of idiotic mistake can end a career.

look boys, the UCI allows doping. Why would they ban motorbikes. Can't get footage to the betting houses with the bikes

look boys, the UCI allows doping. Why would they ban motorbikes. Can't get footage to the betting houses with the bikes

Do the UCI even care?

Understand your/our feelings of exasperation regarding these ongoing incidents endangering the lives of pro cyclists but ... really?

Meanwhile...

A struggling leading lady at Comrades

Stops

Get hit by a following moto

Fortunately unharmed ????

Just saw the Comrades incident.!

Nearly took out one of the favourites for the ladies title.

Do the motor cycles really need to be that close in order to capture good footage.

I do think he did injured her. After that Crash, she didn't look herself. Damn idiots.......

Is filming with fancy drones not an option?

It is, but the battery life is still limited, so you have to get more than one drone.  I don't think the Tour de France has that kind of budget...  :ph34r:

It's also possible to use GoPros, or similar.  There are already bicycles in the race, we might as well use them to film themselves (I think I are called a selfie.)

Cameras can get decent shots from further away.  The zooms and stability systems get better every day.  Simply do not allow them that close.

In this particular case the motorbike crashed, and then fell into the peloton.  Or indeed: two motorbikes crashed, possibly caused by roadworks.  So the question is: why are two motorbikes racing so close that they can't avoid each other, and so close that they can't see roadworks (in Belgium, not South Africa) in due time?  Was that really a safe choice?  Is passing on a downhill section smart?

They should get the military grade drones......not that toy jobbies....missiles and all....to zap those sticky bottles..... ...????????????

Archived