Best new MTB in SA for 60K?

L.T.G

A friend ( non hubber) is looking at getting a well deserved new bike, he rides mainly trail and the occasional stage event, he's doing Berg&Bush again this year ...

His budget is around the 60K mark....

Opinions? Suggestions?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend ( non hubber) is looking at getting a well deserved new bike, he rides mainly trail and the occasional stage event, he's doing Berg&Bush again this year ...

His budget is around the 60K mark....

Opinions? Suggestions?

If you'd asked me a year ago, I'd have had completely different answers. Sadly, due to the USD being what it is at the moment, the options are more limited, but not any less good - it just removes a couple of the boutique carbon options like the Evil & Santa Cruz etc. 

Giant Trance Advanced

Spez Stumpjumper

Spez Camber (more XC focussed - with a bigger fork it could be a trail shredder, but then Stumpy)

Niner WFO or RIP9

PYGA 110/stage at a stretch

Cannondale Habit

Scott Genius 650 / 650plus

Banshee Spitfire / Prime / Phantom

Transition Smuggler

Kona Process 134

Would be hard pressed to pick any of the above at the drop of a hat though. 

Yeah, was going to add the Sesta to Myles' very comprehensive list, but it would depend what his definition of trail riding is. If he's out there ripping it up then the Sesta won;t fit, but if his riding is more about flow and being happy riding single track then the Sesta will do. 

Myles: I shall take one of each of those. Thank you.

I think just one or two are missing from Myles' list, the Rocky Mountain bikes have really good options and This Way Out offer really good prices on them, and for 60k you can then upgrade them to your preference if you like. Depending what your definition of a trail bike is and what wheelsize you prefer they have the Instinct 950MSL, Thunderbolt 750MSL and the Altitude 750MSL. Really nice bikes with quite complete setups, I'd definitely consider one!

I think just one or two are missing from Myles' list, the Rocky Mountain bikes have really good options and This Way Out offer really good prices on them, and for 60k you can then upgrade them to your preference if you like. Depending what your definition of a trail bike is and what wheelsize you prefer they have the Instinct 950MSL, Thunderbolt 750MSL and the Altitude 750MSL. Really nice bikes with quite complete setups, I'd definitely consider one!

Yes! A Thunderbolt would be top of my list when it comes to trail bikes. 

R60k for a bike? Fork that my advice would be to get a damn nice bike for R40 odd and then spend the balance on a damn nice hardtail.two bikes is better than one

R60k for a bike? Fork that my advice would be to get a damn nice bike for R40 odd and then spend the balance on a damn nice hardtail.two bikes is better than one

R60k for a mix of SLX and XT :eek:

Definitely! I wouldn't recommend the instinct though - a bit too xc biased. Altitude is on the other end of the spectrum and a solid all mountain bike, so may be a bit too much for what he's looking for. Thunderbolt is a BRILLIANT option.

Also forgot the Cube AMS140 or whatever it is. Great value for money and I've seen them go for reasonable sums.

As for the 2 bikes vs 1 debate - not so sure I agree with that. If you have an All Mountain / Enduro bike (like the Reign) then yeah, a smaller more XC focussed bike may be justifiable for some instances (which is why I'm still lusting for the Thunderbolt or to build up my HT again) But with the crop of current mid-travel trail bikes being so capable, a 2nd bike isn't really necessary unless you're talking about a road bike, jump bike or DH bike or if you're racing XCO / XCM professionally or for the top spots and NEED a different bike for those specific competitions. 

Silverback Sesta Pro but its more of a XC/Stage race bike.

http://www.silverbacklab.com/bike/mountain/sesta-pro/

The Silverback Synergy looks interesting

The Synergy range with its 1/3 Concept creates a highly adaptable platform to enable the carbon front triangle full suspension trail bike to cover the three wheel options of Slim (29” with 2.2” tyres), Slimfat (27.5” with 3” tyres), and Fat (26” with 4” tyres) by using different rear triangles. This trail frame has great strength, stiffness, durability and low weight as its core. The bikes use 120mm of front suspension, while the IDS Revo rear suspension has 110mm of plush, responsive and predictable travel to attack the trails with speed and precision.

http://www.silverbacklab.com/bike/mountain/synergy-slimfat/

http://www.silverbacklab.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/SYNERGY-SLIM-WATERMELON11-1150x767.png

Archived