Keagan Girdlestone in critical condition after serious crash.

gummibear

Is it not also good manners/ethics to ensure that the next of kin have been informed before making anything like that public?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it not also good manners/ethics to ensure that the next of kin have been informed before making anything like that public?

That's why some of us with a bit of experience took the time to be sure by following the basics first. Checking the team accounts, checking family accounts. 

Some people jumped the gun. It's very much the fault of public appetite and reporters not observing basic ethics. 

The witch hunt can wait though, the important part would be support for the family and friends/team. Can't be easy on a number of levels right now.

It's very scary news but hoping (nay, praying) for a good outcome. Seems team car braked suddenly in front of him.

Does anyone know the twitter name of the site that incorrectly reported this??

The Italian media where the first to run with it.

A mate of mine was there and texted me about it and said the kid from SA had passed away and the race was stopped.

I checked and saw Tuttobici and another one were running the story and then posted it here.

That's why some of us with a bit of experience took the time to be sure by following the basics first. Checking the team accounts, checking family accounts. 

Some people jumped the gun. It's very much the fault of public appetite and reporters not observing basic ethics. 

The witch hunt can wait though, the important part would be support for the family and friends/team. Can't be easy on a number of levels right now.

To be fair Chris Froome tweeted his condolences and later tweeted a correction, Cannondale Pro Cycling Team did the same. Cycling News tweeted, as well as uploaded an article quoting Italian media, reporting the death.

I am impressed, rather, at the rate and speed that the Hub and other cycling members jumped to his support, offering strength and prayers to his family and friends.

I would hope that DiData had direct contact with his next of kin, I would assume that they were on the scene and communicating with his family directly?

So, he ran into a "team car"?

Thease "team cars" have caused some serious accidents recently....

Agreed and hopefully not a "team car" driven by some processed celebrity having "an experience!"

May the young man have a speedy and a full recovery; strength to his family and friends at this terrible time.

Been praying often since I heard. I seriously hope he pulls through okay and recovers quickly!

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

Agreed and hopefully not a "team car" driven by some processed celebrity having "an experience!"

It was his own team car that was driven by the team DS (director sportive) that had to brake suddenly because another team car apparently swung out to move up the convoy to feed their rider. 

He was being paced back to the peloton after an earlier minor crash by his own team car...

Update received just now.

ADMIN POST: Some good news emerging from Rimini, Italy with Keagan's physician confirming that Keagan is now "stable and there is no immediate threat to life."

It was also noted that Keagan was off a ventilator (assisted breathing) for a period this morning while undergoing scans. This time he spent off a ventilator shows he is now able to breathe on his own. Once back on the ward ventilation was resumed to assist him as he recovers.

While his immediate situation has improved, there are many more hurdles ahead.

Once again, the family would like to thank all for their kind words and encouragement.

Archived