Keagan Girdlestone in critical condition after serious crash.

gummibear

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Real feel-good update. Thanks. Keep fighting Keagan. One more climb and you're down to the finish.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Still praying for you Keagen. Keep up the good fight, and know that you are always in our prayers and thoughts.

Soon he will be able to tuck into the Rimini gelato. Thats my best memory of Rimini.

All a bit of a relief. Hope he makes a full recovery.

RoadCycling are delighted to hear that the latest updates on Keagan Girdlestone’s situation continue to indicate that he is heading in the right direction with his recovery. Keagan is doing well despite the severity of his injuries and continues to make progress.

In Rimini, Italy, Wayne and Desere Girdlestone are at the bed side of their son Keagan, following the terrible crash that put a stop to the Coppa Della Pace. The situation was a critical one, with substantial blood loss suffered following what we believe was a collision with a car after already suffering one crash earlier in the race.

Since then Keagan began a fight for his life and well wishers from Lotto Soudal’s Greg Henderson to Tour de France defending champion Chris Froome have been pouring in their support along with friends and family around the world. Gradually the situation has been progressing and the Dimension Data for Qhubeka Continental Team rider has made improvements.

Just a few hours ago further good reports arrived and we are delighted to share the statement that was issued on Keagan’s Facebook page. “Some more positive news emerging out of Rimini, Italy. Keagan is currently still in intensive care, critical but a lot more stable,” It read. “He is out of a coma and responding. The ventilator has been removed and he is breathing on his own. While these are all steps in the right direction, his injuries are still complicated. We are hopeful that he continues showing signs of improvement with each passing day.”

There is still a long way to go but Girdlestone has already come such a long way, and we are delighted that he has made it this far for now. The family of Keagan are still exceedingly grateful for all the support that they have received and continue to receive by people who know and love the young 19 year old cycling talent.

We will continue to keep you updated as reports continue to be released as to his condition.

Is it not also good manners/ethics to ensure that the next of kin have been informed before making anything like that public?

so true the world has lost its moral compass!!

ADMIN POST:

Two weeks after the horrific life threatening accident, Keagz is still in intensive care in Rimini, Italy.

Contrary to initial reports, Keagz did not sustain any facial injuries. The critical injuries were sustained to his neck and throat. He severed not only the cartoid artery, but the jugular vein, nerve and muscles.

Due to major loss of blood at the scene as well as the time it took to get him to surgery, the right hand side of his brain was starved of blood and oxygen. He also sustained bruising of his brain due to the impact as well as vocal cord damage. At this stage the full extent of his injuries is unknown as well as the period of rehabilitation.

He is breathing on his own but with difficulty as one of the nerves controlling his diaphragm has been damaged. He has limited movement of his left side due to the lack of oxygen to the brain however this is showing signs of improvement. The right side, which is being affected by nerve damage, is also limited. He is able to move his leg and squeeze his hand, but there is no movement of his arm.

With continued rehabilitation it is hoped that all functionality will improve as time passes. However, any possible long term effects are still unknown

B

Your continued support, prayers and positivity is greatly appreciated by Keagz and his family.

#KeepFightingKeagz

post-40232-1466364126,4651.jpg

Archived