Mopkop

Hi guys

Hope the indoor trainers are keeping us all active. Im in the process of building up a racing wheelset for the road but I'm struggling with my hub choice:

Hope Mono RS for  R4665

DT Swiss 240s for  R7013

Tune MIG 70 front and MAG 170 rear for R7255

The gap between the DT and the tune is pushing me towards the tune. But the Hopes are very very good value for money and easy to service

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Mopkop

I'm sure any of those would be a good choice.

The other brand that comes to mind is Chris King.

The Hope's are surprisingly "cheap" relative to the others.

Don't overlook budget options like American Classic.

I'm sure any of those would be a good choice.

The other brand that comes to mind is Chris King.

The Hope's are surprisingly "cheap" relative to the others.

Don't overlook budget options like American Classic.

Problem I have locally is with whats available. Besides Novatec, theres nothing readily available here.

The kings will set me back about R11900 so this is WAAAYYYYYY over budget :thumbdown:

O yes, all prices are imported and include shipping and customs goedtes :ph34r:

I was even thinking of Novatecs but then to upgrade the bearings to ceramics when the time allows. I would like to lace them to 45mm U shaped rims from Light-Bicycle

Problem I have locally is with whats available. Besides Novatec, theres nothing readily available here.

The kings will set me back about R11900 so this is WAAAYYYYYY over budget [emoji107]

O yes, all prices are imported and include shipping and customs goedtes :ph34r:

I was even thinking of Novatecs but then to upgrade the bearings to ceramics when the time allows. I would like to lace them to 45mm U shaped rims from Light-Bicycle

Chris Kings are worth every cent.. my hubby says so every time he hears them sing.[emoji6]

Not quite 45mm but certainly an alternative worthy of consideration.

I speak under correction, but they look like a Light-Bicycle build.

I did think price appeared a bit steep relative to new - I don't know how much room was left for negotiation. :)

DT 240's :thumbup:

Stay away from Tune unless weight is your goal. I have seen way to many cracked/split open Tune hub bodies, and they aren't the best sealing hubs, they tend to need some TLC.

I did think price appeared a bit steep relative to new - I don't know how much room was left for negotiation. :)

I have tried and the spread is very very tight else it would have been mine a long time ago

DT 240's :thumbup:

Stay away from Tune unless weight is your goal. I have seen way to many cracked/split open Tune hub bodies, and they aren't the best sealing hubs, they tend to need some TLC.

What Spoke said.

I've built the 35mm Light-Bicycle U shaped on Novatec for myself and the 45mm for my son.  Still running the original bearings but will change to ABEC5 when the time comes.  Both of us super happy with the result - at a fraction of the cost of some other combinations.  A customer of mine has Enve rims on Chris King hubs.  We have a bet on who's will fail first!

I went with the Chris King R45s. Admittedly, in 2014, they cost *only* R8500 from Williams Bikes.

I will add this though: If I calculate what my mates have spent on replacement bearings on their MTBs in the 11 years I've had my CK ISO hubs, then the Kings actually work out cheaper long-term if you can service them yourself. Mine are still on the original bearings.

Not sure how that will translate to road though. Obviously there is a lot less dirt and grime involved so the difference in bearing wear between normal vs Chris King might not be as big as on MTB hubs. Nonetheless, it seemed a good reason/excuse to justify buying the R45s for my road bike  :whistling:

I've built the 35mm Light-Bicycle U shaped on Novatec for myself and the 45mm for my son.  Still running the original bearings but will change to ABEC5 when the time comes.  Both of us super happy with the result - at a fraction of the cost of some other combinations.  A customer of mine has Enve rims on Chris King hubs.  We have a bet on who's will fail first!

I would not put my money on the Enve rims outlasting the CK's or the LB rims...