Cycle Labs worth the money?

Waffles

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had experience, and could give advice, with membership to CycleLab Fourways.

I am looking for a club that my girlfriend and I could cycle in together. I Like the fact that cyclelabs is big, which will allow for me to cycle at a 32km/h+ pace and have her join the intermediates, as a beginner to the cycling scene.

My only real concern is how much more they charge than any other club. it seems to be a R700.00 joining fee and then an extra R100 monthly debit order. Thats more than R2100 a year.

I know the R700 includes a basic club shirt although I would like to ask what the R100 monthly fee includes. Is there something like complementary breakfasts/coffee's after the weekend morning rides, and is there a follow car for every group to help with stragglers and breakdowns.

I would really like to join them as it feels like to best option for us although I just want to justify the extra cost.

If anyone has another club that they would also like to suggest please post it aswell. All experiences welcome.

I joined the Lab for the simple reason ...I can choose the pace I want to ride on the day and it works for me.

The Saturday rides are well organised , they also arrange public holiday rides and twice a year the Sun City ride which is awesome.

You will get many conflicting opinions of the Lab.....but in the end it is what you make of it.

No personal experience with the club, but they've been around "forever" so must be doing something right. (and to justify the cost)

I've often seen support vehicles following their various groups, and while I'm not sure about complimentary breakfasts, I do think you get some kind of discount at the stores.

All the groups have marshals to ensure each group rides at the correct pace, there is a dedicated vehicle that follows the last group through the Cradle to help any rider either with a mechanical or a lift back to the club. All the major races, 947, Argus, Amashova etc, have a full on hospitality tent with free food and drinks, the smaller races they offer cool drinks. Various talks during the week on training, basic mechanical repairs, nutrition etc.

I guess you get out what you put in!

You are welcome to come and do a few Club rides with the Club before you join.

PM me if you want any other info.

Thanks for the feedback

Pusher - I will definitely take you up on that offer. Although will have to wait another 3 weeks before I'm allowed back on a bike post OP.

JMK1 - Agreed. Definetly the biggest advantage of being part of CycleLabs.

Paul Ruinaard - Just had a look at the momentum deal. Really good stuff although sadly I got myself caught into an Apple watch contract with Discovery so no moving over anytime soon for me.

I honestly think the club provides really good value. Free ride magazine, and hospitality at races, entrance to.pwc bike park at certain times are free goodies but mainly just because it is really well run. There are "haters" of the lab but generally i can only speak positively.

not to mention mechanical backup on club rides...

they have cars on route that keep an eye out for stranded cyclists.

- helped me when i broke my chain! 

also great to be around like minded individuals 

Paul Ruinaard - Just had a look at the momentum deal. Really good stuff although sadly I got myself caught into an Apple watch contract with Discovery so no moving over anytime soon for me.

I have medical aid with Momentum, and am also on Discovery Vitality (you also qualify for Vitality if you have a Discovery Life policy). So I have the Apple Watch and discounted CL membership.

Agreed it's does cost but honestly my opinion worth it, if you on the road bike or Mtb or both you can switch between the two as you feel just fall in with the ride you want for the day.

they have also got out rides at various parks for Mtb with free entry for members. this coming weekend for example modderfontien nature reserve normal entry R50 this Sunday club riders free just a simple issue of booking a spot and done.

i also think 10% discount in store, so all the bits add up.

Long track record as mentioned by Thomo.

I have medical aid with Momentum, and am also on Discovery Vitality (you also qualify for Vitality if you have a Discovery Life policy). So I have the Apple Watch and discounted CL membership.

Thanks, sound like a plan, just asked them for a life policy quote.

Come and try a few Saturday rides. You'll find a well-organised, friendly group to ride with. You are welcome to ride for a while until you are able to decide whether it works for you.

Archived