Ironman 70.3 East London 2017

fanievb

Hello everyone

Getting into the tri thing and will be doing my first 70.3 in EL...

Just wanted to know when to enter, is it safe to wait just before the early bird entries close or would they normally sell out.

Reason for me waiting is that the wife and I are both going to enter and thus we would just like to wait and see if she will be ready for the event. I will be fine, being a cyclist for a long time, but not sure about her yet

Hope to see you all there

Any tips or hints I should be aware of?

Thanks

Don't wait too long to book your accommodation, the longer you wait to book, the fewer options you leave yourself.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming in hot!

I did my first one this year and loved it. Great vibe and great day out.

If you thinking of entering I suggest commit and then it will all start falling into place cause you in

Easier to save time on the bike and run then on the swim, so focus a lot on those disciplines (brick sessions ect)

Finally have a jol, cause we wouldnt do it if you didnt enjoy it

I did Durban this past weekend and while I do love the course in Durban I must say EL is more rewarding and I feel the IM spirit in EL is way better. I'm not just referring to the spectators but the whole weekend in itself has more vibe in EL

I did Durban this past weekend and while I do love the course in Durban I must say EL is more rewarding and I feel the IM spirit in EL is way better. I'm not just referring to the spectators but the whole weekend in itself has more vibe in EL

us slummies okes are a lekker bunch

so I have a quick question - I did the dbn ride on a road bike, did 2:39 - how much faster is it on a tt bike, some of the guys seem to ride effortlessly - I am a newbie to triathlon so just curious if having a tt bike would have been an advantage and if so by how much?

us slummies okes are a lekker bunch

I agree..

While Durban in general may be a nicer city (Sorry EL) I think El is a better venue for 70.3..

Agree.  PE and EL the whole town gets taken over by IM vibe.  Durban you wouldn't know if was on unless you at suncoast itself.

Seriously thinking about entering...  I just wish it was 2 weeks earlier in Jan, or a month or 2 later in the year - I find the time of year awkward for a trip to slummies - its just as the work year is starting, kids back at school etc...

Agree.  PE and EL the whole town gets taken over by IM vibe.  Durban you wouldn't know if was on unless you at suncoast itself.

Seriously thinking about entering...  I just wish it was 2 weeks earlier in Jan, or a month or 2 later in the year - I find the time of year awkward for a trip to slummies - its just as the work year is starting, kids back at school etc...

Agree. I am giving it a skip next year. Training takes over the whole December and I owe my family a decent vacation after 5 years of EL. I know there will be huge FOMO the closer we get to the event date. It is a much tougher challenge that Durban and the vibe is better. But I do enjoy the Durban flat course, being used to flat riding and running here in KBY

I love the EL course but also considering giving it a skip and spending 10 days in Bali.Will cost pretty much the same as the weekend in East London which just seems crazy...

I love the EL course but also considering giving it a skip and spending 10 days in Bali.Will cost pretty much the same as the weekend in East London which just seems crazy...

I am in a similar boat. Been saving for 5 years to take a France/Italy trip with the family. Old JZ and his crowd wiped out 50% of those savings in the past six months, so we have to prioritize pretty seriously now... Although I always feel unsure about EL just after the race I returned 3 times and would've liked to go again!

@ cycling major

Let's put this into perspective for you

I entered EL in April 2015 bout my bike end April 2015 and did 94.7 in November in 5 hours and was BROKEN but I had set the EL goal and I trained my ass off (literally) and finished it in Jan 2016!!!!

Zero to IM 70.3 in 9 months ????????

Set the goal and do it .........

On a side note DBN is c$&@ compared to EL 70.3

EL was totally amazing - awesome vibe

DBN I felt like I was in every locals way especially on the run on the beachfront - I was totally over people walking in my way by the end of it! Won't rush back to that event in a hurry flat course or no flat course

I am in a similar boat. Been saving for 5 years to take a France/Italy trip with the family. Old JZ and his crowd wiped out 50% of those savings in the past six months, so we have to prioritize pretty seriously now... Although I always feel unsure about EL just after the race I returned 3 times and would've liked to go again!

Woke up to this qoute this morning which decided it for me:

Don't live the same year 75 times and call it a life

obviously with a pinch of salt, but I am going to go for the new experiences option this time around.

• 2 weeks later...

Entered and now very very keen to get out there and do my first Ironman... 

Any suggestions on where to stay? Would like a very affordable option due to me having to buy all the kit etc for the wife and also having to get down there from JHB

Have a great weekend

Entered and now very very keen to get out there and do my first Ironman... 

Any suggestions on where to stay? Would like a very affordable option due to me having to buy all the kit etc for the wife and also having to get down there from JHB

Have a great weekend

how many people and for how long?

the hotels close to the start are probably already full. B&B's in Beacon Bay and Gonubie is not bad but you'll have to do proper logistics planning

how many people and for how long?

the hotels close to the start are probably already full. B&B's in Beacon Bay and Gonubie is not bad but you'll have to do proper logistics planning

I wanna go down and be there from the Thursday and leave again on the Monday (4 Nights)

Ideally it will be 4 of us, but if we have to we can split the 2 couples into different hotels...

I wanna go down and be there from the Thursday and leave again on the Monday (4 Nights)

Ideally it will be 4 of us, but if we have to we can split the 2 couples into different hotels...

Try Blue Lagoon Hotel, they have self catering apartments and special rate for Iron Man 70.3