E-Bikes on Tygerberg MTB trail

energizer2k

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm all for the banning of ebikes in MTB parks and MTB trails. We already share our trails with runners and horses. On more than one occasion I have almost collided with runners bombing down a trial and not too long ago I almost gave a horse a weggie with my front tyre.

The problem I have with ebikes is the majority of them are going to end up in the hands of people who are the very same people who have no respect for cyclists on the road. Slobs who are too lazy to pedal with very little respect for our sport.

T

Please share you research to make that claim. 

Nothing to do with Tygerberg, but e-bikes legitimately allow many people to enjoy cycling with their mates who they ordinarily could never keep up with. I have seriously considered one for the wife (she enjoys the social side of cycling, the outdoors, the exercise at her intensity level, etc. but she is probably never going to push herself to get to "next-level" of performance/fitness), so that she too can get to the top of a climb, and relax for 5 minutes enjoying the views with us, instead of getting there, moaning about how *** tired she is, and then moaning again as we set off. Just a thought........nothing to do with slobs, arrogance, etc

I'm all for the banning of ebikes in MTB parks and MTB trails. We already share our trails with runners and horses. On more than one occasion I have almost collided with runners bombing down a trial and not too long ago I almost gave a horse a weggie with my front tyre.

The problem I have with ebikes is the majority of them are going to end up in the hands of people who are the very same people who have no respect for cyclists on the road. Slobs who are too lazy to pedal with very little respect for our sport.

T

Strange that you would think that the majority would end up with inexeprienced bikers. Internationally its the polar opposite. The sales of e bikes seem to be as secondary bikes to experienced commuters and trail riders who see them for what they are. The next group who benefit are those who with health issues or disabilities, then only the noobs seem to be in line pretty much at the back end of the queue.

On trail use: Tygerberg MTB almost lost Meerendal because mtb'ers were not willing to share trails with runners and horses. Thankfully the likes of Meerendal Sport seem to be more open-minded. Imagine if motorised road users had this attitude towards non-motorised road users on tarred roads. "We pay annual registrations and fuel levies to maintain the roads, so bikes and pedestrians can't use it"...

E-bike users will per definition be "normal" bike users as well, they will pay the same trail fees as us, and most will use pedal assist to get to the top and disable it on the way down. If they are not sessioning a trail, they'll most likely commute, get to work without breaking a sweat, would be able to change up for work without having to pay for a gym subscription just to be able to take a shower, and hit the trail after work for a proper workout. If they are not sessioning a trail they might be on their e bikes during a race, not to cheat, but as marshals to assist event orginisers, much like motorbike marshals assist the roadies. I've seen this done in Canada where experienced bikers were spread across the field in BC bike race. Apart from the comfort of having a skilled and experienced rider with you on the trail, seeing the skills first-hand has probably taught me more skills than riding with my buddies ever did.

The bottom line is people have a choice as to how open-minded they chose to be about something new like this.

Obviously there are some safety concerns etc. which I am sure trail administrators need to think about. We can't all go willy nilly night riding (with assistance from high-powered lights, and not the full moon and our own ability to see in the dark) on trails after sunset. Yet there are people who break the rules. The answer is not to ban lights, but to deal with specific offenders appropriately.

On trail use: Tygerberg MTB almost lost Meerendal because mtb'ers were not willing to share trails with runners and horses. Thankfully the likes of Meerendal Sport seem to be more open-minded. Imagine if motorised road users had this attitude towards non-motorised road users on tarred roads. "We pay annual registrations and fuel levies to maintain the roads, so bikes and pedestrians can't use it"...

No need to imagine.  That is very real and common reasoning of SA motorists.

False analogy.  Next.

why? The shuttle causes more "damage" than a 100 e bikes would with one run to the trail head, we get there with motorised assistance, allowing us to comfortably do multiple runs and the XC guys climbing all the way to the top don't look at us skeef. The only difference is that shuttling has been around since some guys thought that it was a good idea to start riding their klunkers down mountains. In 10 years we won't even look twice at e bikes on our trails as it would be very common.

why? The shuttle causes more "damage" than a 100 e bikes would with one run to the trail head, we get there with motorised assistance, allowing us to comfortably do multiple runs and the XC guys climbing all the way to the top don't look at us skeef. The only difference is that shuttling has been around since some guys thought that it was a good idea to start riding their klunkers down mountains. In 10 years we won't even look twice at e bikes on our trails as it would be very common.

I don't BS myself that I'm pedalling a bicycle when I'm on the back of a shuttle.

Strange that you would think that the majority would end up with inexeprienced bikers. Internationally its the polar opposite. The sales of e bikes seem to be as secondary bikes to experienced commuters and trail riders who see them for what they are. The next group who benefit are those who with health issues or disabilities, then only the noobs seem to be in line pretty much at the back end of the queue.

Pull the other one.  It has bells on.

I am yet to see a single disabled person on an e-bike advertorial / promotional / instagram account.  So far it's basically all brand ambassadors and people who are otherwise healthy sponsored cyclists.  Target market is wealthy cyclists who are easily convinced that they need anything new on the market lest their mates think their stinky poor.

Martin Ashton is one guy.  I'm all for this application of E-bikes, but let's not fool each other.  That's not what was discussed at Spez central. 

The whole point of riding my bike is to share experiences with my friends in nature and not to donner up the hill on my ace all the while convincing myself that that 4th run of Canaries really justifies the alone riding and R90k I dropped.

OR I can just be happy with riding with my mates till I'm tired.

I guess some people return to the buffet despite them being full, because it's free and MOAR IS BETTER!  Other have their fill, get up and leave.

I really can't understand what the issue is.  :huh:

To each his own.....

If an oke on an e-bike passes me up a climb, I'm not gonna be pissed with him, I'll just pedal harder to try and keep up for as long as possible.  :whistling:

Pull the other one.  It has bells on.

I am yet to see a single disabled person on an e-bike advertorial / promotional / instagram account.  So far it's basically all brand ambassadors and people who are otherwise healthy sponsored cyclists.  Target market is wealthy cyclists who are easily convinced that they need anything new on the market lest their mates think their stinky poor.

Martin Ashton is one guy.  I'm all for this application of E-bikes, but let's not fool each other.  That's not what was discussed at Spez central. 

The whole point of riding my bike is to share experiences with my friends in nature and not to donner up the hill on my ace all the while convincing myself that that 4th run of Canaries really justifies the alone riding and R90k I dropped.

OR I can just be happy with riding with my mates till I'm tired.

I guess some people return to the buffet despite them being full, because it's free and MOAR IS BETTER!  Other have their fill, get up and leave.

Nobody is forcing you to buy one, so you can still ride with your mates till you are tired, problem solved. 

I really can't understand what the issue is.  :huh:

To each his own.....

If an oke on an e-bike passes me up a climb, I'm not gonna be pissed with him, I'll just pedal harder to try and keep up for as long as possible.  :whistling:

at your age there aren't any other options really  :P

Nobody is forcing you to buy one, so you can still ride with your mates till you are tired, problem solved. 

We're debating the merits of the underlying rational to e-bikes. Not freedom of choice and consumer rights.

at your age there aren't any other options really  :P

Mebbe I must get me an e-bike then.... :ph34r:

We're debating the merits of the underlying rational to e-bikes. Not freedom of choice and consumer rights.

Ok, so why should someone who wants to ride at their spouse or friends pace and not slow them down be denied that opportunity? 

Archived