E-Bikes on Tygerberg MTB trail

energizer2k

Oh - as for the "pedalling with their legs" thing being a limiting factor on speed. 

Martin Ashton, who is currently using an ENTIRELY button-based e-mtb because he can't pedal at all, is STILL limited by his skillset when it comes to his speed. And that's on a full DH rig. 

So someone who has a large amount of power at his command, and has extensive experience and skill on an MTB & road bike, is limited and does not use the motor to its full capability. If he doesn't go full taps on the trails, why would someone who has not 1% of his skill all of a sudden be able to?

Well he is also paralysed :0

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no opinion on whether they can or can't...

But in saying that (as a big-boned gent... :ph34r: ), I do believe that the OP was probably peeved because the e-bike in question passed him at a rate of knots when he was most likely going up Dorstberg or the Contermans Mast climb... :whistling:

Having gone up there numerous times, I sure would love to have a bit of assistance, whether battery or petrol powered myself...

ja, the first time some bokkie in a suit aimlessly pedalling smoked past me in amsterdam, i looked at my mate who lived there...he said - eBikes, park your ego!

On another note, like in that video clip, if e bikes are jailbraked, or not I suppose, probably depends on the speed, but what would the trail wear and tear be like with an e bike. I can imagine that one that has some ridiculous speeds would tear up the trail in the same way a motorbike does.

On another note, like in that video clip, if e bikes are jailbraked, or not I suppose, probably depends on the speed, but what would the trail wear and tear be like with an e bike. I can imagine that one that has some ridiculous speeds would tear up the trail in the same way a motorbike does.

Remember the motor is only 250w and in some cases 500w. That won't elicit anything like a whiskey throttle would. That's what I put out when I stand and pedal out of a corner. 

Even if it's 1,000w, that's only HALF of what the likes of Gwin put out. And they're not ripping up trail... 

Also - even if it is jailbroken to a pushbutton actuation - 250w is not going to rip up the trail. Think about it - it's not even the same wattage as a Dremel. The only time it'll induce wheelspin is if there's no weight on it whatsoever. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

My answer is a big no!!

1. Limited speed.or not it is possible to mod them to go faster, thus becoming dangerous on the trails.

Agreed, they should also ban all forms of training. Training has been proven to make you go faster and thus could pose a danger to others on the trails. While we'r at it, ban goo and energy drinks!! And 29er's!

They not even doing that more damage downhill either, if you get an oke who is 70kg plus 25kg bike total weight is 95kg. 

Having spent some time watching Stefan Sahm riding up and down Meerendal on the last day of ACE 2016, I can't really see how an e-bike would churn up the trails any more than a normal bike would. Same wheels, anyway. Yes, he did seem to go quicker uphill, but the descents were on par with other riders. Okay, I realize he was trailing them to film, but how is that different than normal riding behind others on single track? As Myles said, if you're going to be a dick, an e-bike will make no difference.

I believe that more damage gets done to trails by people dragging their brakes through switchbacks, berms etc. and people riding when it's been raining for a while. MTB tyres and wet trails are not really made for each other, and trail builders lament having to rebuild after a lot of rain and riding going hand in hand.

Ok, so for pedal assist its fine. But what about the other e bikes that have throttle control on the handlebar? 

They not even doing that more damage downhill either, if you get an oke who is 70kg plus 25kg bike total weight is 95kg. 

okay, so my 112 kay gees plus my bike weight should really wipe the trails out then... :P 

Ok, so for pedal assist its fine. But what about the other e bikes that have throttle control on the handlebar? 

limitation is your engine wattage. Honestly, even if they're ramped up to 500w or 750w or even 1,000w it's not going to make that much of a difference. Okay, maybe 1,000w will... but then even that won't rip up the trails when you're actually riding. 

Will be interesting to revisit this topic in a few years time.

I wonder where they will "draw the line" on what is classified as an ebike. Obviously motors are going to get more efficient and powerful. They are not going to stay at 25 or 32km per hour.

What's next, fat bikes aren't going to be allowed on the trails because the bigger tyres do more damage?

The pedal assisted bikes are quite so are not a problem.  On the down hills you can still only go as fast as your skill level. 

In order to go uphill at 30km's per hour, you need to be a pretty good rider.  While the bikes help, its not like they replace leg strength or fitness, you still need to pedal.

Lets all just be happy and enjoy the trails.

Ok, cool, just trying to get an idea of the power one can lay down with these bikes. I would def get a pedal assited bike one day when I can hardly pedal anymore. However these other electric bikes with throttle control is a different breed all together. They remind me of motorbikes.

Will be interesting to revisit this topic in a few years time.

I wonder where they will "draw the line" on what is classified as an ebike. Obviously motors are going to get more efficient and powerful. They are not going to stay at 25 or 32km per hour.

Perhaps not, or only until the first "high-speed crash" occurs. Then they could blame it on a lack of skill on the riders part.