E-Bikes on Tygerberg MTB trail

energizer2k

Ok, cool, just trying to get an idea of the power one can lay down with these bikes. I would def get a pedal assited bike one day when I can hardly pedal anymore. However these other electric bikes with throttle control is a different breed all together. They remind me of motorbikes.

dude... the spaz one puts out 250w. That's not even enough to get us to 5kph on the hills... LOL.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dude... the spaz one puts out 250w. That's not even enough to get us to 5kph on the hills... LOL.

What is impressive though is the torque, so you can push your buddy up at 10km/h without him having to pedal, only problem is your arm gets tired.

What is impressive though is the torque, so you can push your buddy up at 10km/h without him having to pedal, only problem is your arm gets tired.

yeah, that's where the improvement in battery tech would benefit. Being able to sustain that for longer. Though if you are pushing your buddy, the wattage/kg will drop and as such you'll climb slower. It'll still move you, but not as fast. 

I worry about your maths today, squire. I go up the hills at more than 10kph and I am reasonable sure I am not laying down 500W or so. I can barely average 250w on a watt bike for 60 mins - so to me 250W would make a helluva difference? No?

Lets hope the likes of Spaz and Giant gets the trail builders and club committees on E-bikes before they make any hasty decisions. Perhaps the anti-e-bike peeps should take one for a spin before finally deciding.

There IS no safety factor. People will still have to pedal with their legs, and will remain limited by their skills. If you can't take a switchback at 10kph, you won't be able to take it at 15kph. I'm assuming the same person who knows he can't take it at 10kph will be holding his brakes and not pedalling (thereby not utilising the motor) just as much on the e-bike as he would on a normal bike, and probably a little bit more. Only time that wouldn't come into play is maybe between switchbacks where you're trying to pick up speed again. And then, again, you won't magically be able to do drops or jumps. 

Uphill - same thing. In order to ride up singletrack fast, you need to have the skills. An electric motor doesn't all of a sudden grant you those skills. 

Safety when passing on the up - maybe, but then if the person passing you is a dick, he'll be a dick regardless of what bike he's on. If he's faster than you on an MTB he'll still be a dick and blast past you at the least opportune moment. 

Remember, 250w on a big climb is relatively little. For me, 250w on a climb like Jonkers will only be able to get me to about 7 or 8 kph. Pedal assist will get me to 14 or so, at the same effort. If I dial down the effort (which I will, on an e-mtb, probably, cos I want to get to the top fresher) then I can do 10kph comfortably. Not 32kph. To do that I'd need a total power output of about 700w or so. 

So - are you envisaging a whole bunch of moto-aided idiots opening the throttle on Tygerberg? If so, then you don't have anything to worry about. 

Or - are you just worried that someone will be faster than you on the way up? If they want to pass you they'll still have to wait for you to move over, especially on singletrack climbs. They won't come barreling into you either, their skill level (and need to pedal) will restrict that. Plus they will come off if they do that, and they can do that without a motor as well. 

So essentially (for pedal assist bikes) - what is the ACTUAL problem? Again - a cogent (that means well thought out and constructed) argument, please. 

I agree that riders that pass you like a tool will pass you like a tool regardless of the bike setup. My interest in the topic was around the safety and trial design as well as where the line would be drawn now and perhaps in future.

I am not worried about being passed on the hills, that every single MTB'er will know is inevitable. There is always someone faster. I am worried about the speed difference between normal pedaling riders vs assisted riders and what happens when those motors get more and more powerful as time goes on.

My experience was on the Conties bush vine climb, I was about half way up when I could see the rider approaching on the dam wall, the rider was not a beginner nor was he unfit, he was pedaling at full pace and looked like he was pumping the contours uphill as someone would on the downhill. This was my first experience seeing the sheer power and pace someone who is fit can achieve with one of those bikes.

My argument is this, if people are installing motors into their mountain bikes to ride mountain bike trails due to their personal requirements or physical limitations, when will it become reasonable to have riders who do not need the assistance, to be barred from entering the clubs trail networks. If they are to never be barred for such a practice, then at what speed will it be unacceptable for these riders to be riding the trails before it becomes unsafe for riders not using assistance should these motors not have limits.

I am just asking for peoples opinions since I did not personally enjoy my experience with an ebike user but i have only had one experience with such a rider, which was unfortunately negative.

The bike my friend rented for his wife had a throttle control. She only used enough to stay with us as we did not know how long the battery would last.  But at one point we did tell her to go full throttle just to see.  She (also peddling full) passed me like a rocket.  I jumped for her slip and went as hard as I could.  I could only stay with her for about 80 - 100 meters and I just blew.  Those things are powerfull.

What's next, fat bikes aren't going to be allowed on the trails because the bigger tyres do more damage?

Well they actually do less damage! bigger contact area means less pressure.

now roadbikes - they should be off the trails!!

No issues with ebikes as long as they don't chew up the trails like a real motorbike. Would like to know the battery life though, so I can know when to attack on a long climb after his battery goes pap.

I agree that riders that pass you like a tool will pass you like a tool regardless of the bike setup. My interest in the topic was around the safety and trial design as well as where the line would be drawn now and perhaps in future.

I am not worried about being passed on the hills, that every single MTB'er will know is inevitable. There is always someone faster. I am worried about the speed difference between normal pedaling riders vs assisted riders and what happens when those motors get more and more powerful as time goes on.

My experience was on the Conties bush vine climb, I was about half way up when I could see the rider approaching on the dam wall, the rider was not a beginner nor was he unfit, he was pedaling at full pace and looked like he was pumping the contours uphill as someone would on the downhill. This was my first experience seeing the sheer power and pace someone who is fit can achieve with one of those bikes.

My argument is this, if people are installing motors into their mountain bikes to ride mountain bike trails due to their personal requirements or physical limitations, when will it become reasonable to have riders who do not need the assistance, to be barred from entering the clubs trail networks. If they are to never be barred for such a practice, then at what speed will it be unacceptable for these riders to be riding the trails before it becomes unsafe for riders not using assistance should these motors not have limits.

I am just asking for peoples opinions since I did not personally enjoy my experience with an ebike user but i have only had one experience with such a rider, which was unfortunately negative.

Why is it such an issue that people are going 30km's per hour uphill when people without pedal assisted bikes already do that speed on the flat and more than that on down hills. 

Are you going to say people like Greg Minaar and the likes can't ride our trails because they do more than 50km's per hour downhill while the newbies are riding at 10km's per hour.