[Event] Carnival City Macsteel National Classic

Frosty

So where do we start ? I only know what I see on tv,read,or read on bh. The rest is just a fly by the seat of your pants as the race unfolds. Which is probably all wrong anyway.

I have tried to get some like minded individuals to form an alliance for the 94.7 . This race especially as the i team learnt a lot from last year as fat boab point out .

But it seems most are on there own mission.

Start a new I-Team thread and lets see what happens.

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will find others wanting to join the group during the race, but must remain at the back of the group and enjoy the ride, including at the finish. That's where the stronger riders can actually boss the group (in a nice way).

Step one is to get commitments, and plan which races to target. I too don't want to pull 2-3 people because other decide to drop out at the last minute. 100% in or it won't work.

Can't be left to one person to drive, but with decent communication it will be possible.

i have lots of questions . Like how long should you do a stint at the front for? How do you communicate when the pace is to slow or to hot . When do wait? Or don't you?

One thing I have learned . That even if the pace is to slow for you you going up,if you don't know the course and the next part is quick you will get caught and that climb at pace was waisted energy . Course knowledge and knowing what to expect is paramount.

You will find others wanting to join the group during the race, but must remain at the back of the group and enjoy the ride, including at the finish. That's where the stronger riders can actually boss the group (in a nice way).

Step one is to get commitments, and plan which races to target. I too don't want to pull 2-3 people because other decide to drop out at the last minute. 100% in or it won't work.

Can't be left to one person to drive, but with decent communication it will be possible.

I will be very keen on this!!

Patchelicious and geraldm24 - I admire your willingness to help others out, but TBH, I can't see this ever working for a group that rides together for the first time at a big race like 94.7 - last years "I Group" a good example.

Guys - if you want to learn to ride effectively in a group, join a club. I've heard Germiston Wheelers is really good. If they are too far from where you live, there are lots of other good ones.

A good club will have experienced riders who will be able to teach you what you need to know. I learnt so much when I road with my first club.

Edited by GaryvdM

I will gladly do the same and drop back in a few races.

But like you say, I will do it for those who want it. So ask.....

Last year, we tried with the I-Group in 947, and it was a lot of fun!

So if there is a race coming up and a group wants to go sub 3 (or similar target) just say so, but if we drop back to help, you must be willing to do your bit to make those targets and listen to the advice and guidence given by the guys. You cant just expect a free ride to your goal time, that would be an empty victory :)

I'll drop back from elite to A batch for 94.7 this year, :devil:  as I'm still getting back to full speed and training has gone to pot the last few weeks.

Patchelicious and geraldm24 - I admire your willingness to help others out, but TBH, I can't see this ever working for a group that rides together for the first time at a big race like 94.7.

Guys - if you want to learn to ride effectively in a group, join a club (I've heard Germiston Wheelers is really good.)

Agreed, and thats why we will probbaly not do it at the 947 this year.

Will do it for races like CCMNC, FastOne, Sondela etc... Where the groups are a bit smaller and can be managed.

At 947 this year, we are planning to do a second lap handing out gels, bars, sweets and giving guys pushes up the hills etc.

Will do it for races like CCMNC, FastOne, Sondela etc... Where the groups are a bit smaller and can be managed.

At 947 this year, we are planning to do a second lap handing out gels, bars, sweets and giving guys pushes up the hills etc.

I will benefit from this. :-)

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

exactly.

No-one ever mentioned the 947 as the event to do this.

And trust me, I struggle at club level to do this. All it requires is a willingness to help/learn and time. It's not a quick fix but rather an opportunity to give something back, and also develop the riders around us.

Safer riding will help mitigate the risks of crashes, and also get people of similar abilities to help with the pace work.

Thanks Gerald and all your colleagues for an amazing race. Great job. Was my first race in a very long time.

Started in ML, passed the fallen rider (RIP fellow cyclist, condolences to family and friends) and managed to keep up with ML until about 30kms. Thereafter got dropped, but got onto a bunch from NL into that first part into head/crosswind.

Rode solo up to waterpoint 2, then nailed it through Heidelberg. Headwind was not nice for a buffalo like me (130kgs) as I punch a big hole in the wind, but still managed to cross just past 4hrs.

Not as fast as the racing snakes, but given that I 1) finished it, 2) with a massive headwind and 3) in a not to bad time for me, I am quite chuffed. Will definitely do it again next year, great race. Thanks all! Now for 94.7

Thanks man, appreciate it! I think everyone was hurting, we were in a group of masochists hey! I don't know how those DL guys did it, but only 1 managed to hang on to the end, so I think some of them paid for it.

Congrats on the time though, still a good outing in the conditions and with the group you were in.

The guy who won was a beast, I couldn't get past him in the end. He probably didn't even notice me trying to sprint against him, haha.

Yeah, that was me. And my mates trying to embarrass me as they do.

What bike were you on? (or kit)

It means plenty cycled without a chip.

I was one without a chip. forgot to put the damn thing on. Do not have a garmin to send file to racetec. my loss as my time was not to bad for a social rider.

Edited by djvr