SRAM eTap awaiting certification for use in South Africa

News bot

There are two sides to it, to be fair to icasa they have to certify everything from cordless phones wireless panic buttons, so they have a ton of devices to get through.

The other side is that its a bit ridiculous that they re-certify everything, each of those devices has already gone through FCC approval in terms of interference etc so they are just really making money and wasting people's time.

Icasa should stick to what they are already bad at doing and try to improve that, i.e cellular certification, spectrum allocation and carrier grade equipment.

exactly...is the CE sticker worthless? maybe it's worthwhile getting namibian or zim stock!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two sides to it, to be fair to icasa they have to certify everything from cordless phones wireless panic buttons, so they have a ton of devices to get through.

The other side is that its a bit ridiculous that they re-certify everything, each of those devices has already gone through FCC approval in terms of interference etc so they are just really making money and wasting people's time.

Icasa should stick to what they are already bad at doing and try to improve that, i.e cellular certification, spectrum allocation and carrier grade equipment.

..........And then something goes wrong and you guys blame ICASA for not checking everything. Different countries have differing conditions, priorities etc

All this hassle and we have not even got to the fact you cannot shift rear and front mech at the same time :P

I rode with this groupset in Europe end July and it was awesome.

South Africa don't recognise FCC as we fall under the EMEA region. To get something type approved with ICASA you would need the CE certificates which are the European standards and checks. If you submit a item to ICASA with FCC approval certificates you are going to wait a hell of a long time and more than likely you will have to submit extra paperwork.

This is becomming redicilous-and then once it is finnaly approved;how long will take us to actually get the products?

Based on comment from pilots trying to get radio licence renewals, ICASA are properly useless in keeping with SA ANC government tradition.