Do I really need a new bike...

ebenvn

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

There are several valid and very real reasons why it would make a difference. The jump to a 29er alone will be reason enough and then add in the fact that bikes and tech have come a long way the last 6 years. 

Camber will be better suited to avg Joe and even more so on a stage race. You will however still be able to finish the race and enjoy it on the bike you have. Maybe keep the bike and use that extra cash to go on a mtb trip or something like that. 

1. The Camber will be night and day from what you have

2. That alone is not always reason to do it.

In summary: That's a firm maybe from me.  ;)

Thanks for the advice! 

Yeah - I was also thinking that the age & wheel size would make a differenc - how big was my worry. But happy to tackle it on the Epic and see...

We moved abroad 2.5 years ago - and the weather here is crappy (and I haven't found nice MTB routes), so would probably end up buying it just for the race... 

Guess the biggest factor is actually just wanting something new.

What does your wife say?

No comment (from her, not me).I think its like a "I dare you" reply...  :blink:

Why would you want another specialized?

Definitely not decided on anything - Was just searching around on the web for good bikes and read a couple of very good reviews on it...

Any other ones you would advise me to consider?

Thanks for the advice! 

Yeah - I was also thinking that the age & wheel size would make a differenc - how big was my worry. But happy to tackle it on the Epic and see...

We moved abroad 2.5 years ago - and the weather here is crappy (and I haven't found nice MTB routes), so would probably end up buying it just for the race... 

Eben, I'm a Saffer who moved to Belgium a year ago.

I'm not sure where you're based (Flanders, Wallonia or Brussels), but there definitely are a lot of MTB trails around. The thing is just that their not always easy to find and not as obvious as in SA.

Anyhoo, if you've got cash to burn and the wife's happy, get a new bike.

Oh, another thing. Seeing as you're in Europe, make use of all of the direct sales guys around. There are so many to choose from and sweet deals to be had.

Thanks for the advice! 

Wait so you dont live in SA and you have not automatically considered a Canyon?

I like Spez, nothing against the brand, but seriously, Canyon.

Looks like a 26er that. Be unique in Europe and be a True Suffer and get a 29er. We are always being told that we are 29er bef@k over here. Canyon, Cube or any other nice Euro brand please!

Looks like a 26er that. Be unique in Europe and be a True Suffer and get a 29er. We are always being told that we are 29er bef@k over here. Canyon, Cube or any other nice Euro brand please!

Yip - 26" (old school...  :mellow: )

I really like the Canyons

Wait so you dont live in SA and you have not automatically considered a Canyon?

I like Spez, nothing against the brand, but seriously, Canyon.

Thanks - yeah, they do look great. Which model would you say is best for stage races? (in it to enjoy the event rather than hardcore race)

As jy nie net hier is om ???????? te soek nie,...koop n bmc,...en bedank my,......(wanneer jy my klokkie hoor, . .is dit 'TE LAAT' ????????????)

Or you can just update (not UPGRADE) to 1* and some slightly bigger wheels and see how much fun it can still be  :thumbup:

post-271-0-04484600-1468503325_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've thought about that as well! How do you find th bigger wheels? Any clearance issues (with mud?)?

Or you can just update (not UPGRADE) to 1* and some slightly bigger wheels and see how much fun it can still be  :thumbup:

attachicon.gifWP_20160714_14_05_06_Pro_LI.jpg

Archived