Upgrading son's mountain bike

Cslabb

My son is doing that with his Crest wheels, and they are still fine.  Remember, they not weighing 80kgs + like us.  Also, he can do that with an el cheepo 26er set up as a jump bike. 

It's also about the width. The newer Crests are better at 25mm, but the old ones are waaay too narrow by modern standards. 

I'd suggest a set of WTB i25's, Flows (old or new) Arch (new) or the new Kore WR25's... 

For my girlfriend I built a small 26" Morewood Zula, XTR wheelset, Reba fork, new 2 x 10 SLX groupset for less than R12 000 last year.

This is allot more bike than any 29er for the money so I would look at a 2nd hand 26" and put the rest towards his next bike.

Ok so out of left field 

Why don't you engage his coach to see what the others are getting and what the trends are 

What bikes have served others well , 

Than look to keep him in a competitive and Aligned range 

The coach may even may know of someone who is upgrading and may have a decent deal in the offering 

Best advice I can give you is to go see Fareed or Nick at Cycle Zone in Magalies Centre.

They will give you the best possible deal, without trying to sell you what you don't need.

My 10 year old son is riding his big sister,s giant xtc medium frame 29er with the saddle all the way in .I have changed his wheelset to crest,s .He has full control and i cannot keep up in the singletract .As he grows the saddle will be moved up .I don,t see any reason to go to a smaller frame or wheelset .He is not extraordinary tall

Archived