Loose cassette advise

Allrounder

Hi all. My sister wants to buy a bike. It has new shimano wheels on, but the "blades" of the cassette feels like they are not turning in sync. The smallest and biggest ones have a little movement. If I hold the one the other one can turn slightly. Is this fixable?

It could be that the freehub is worn in those spots. They usually have indentations from where the cassette grips the the grooves.

Oops, forgot about the new wheels part...my bad. Yup, it should all be new and functioning properly.

It may still be a good idea to remove the cassette and check the freehub and that the cassette has no obvious play on its own. Is it a new cassette?

Could also be the rivets on the cassette are faulty. Is the lockring noce and tight? That applies pressure to keep everything together.

Think its the lockring as well, if you take the wheel out is there any play in the cassette 

Definitely sounds like it needs another cassette spacer. Shifting should also be out if that is the case.

Not necessarily, depend on whether the gears were set with the current setup (ie, missing a spacer) or with a spacer or a different wheel/cassette.

Sounds like the lockring may be loose. If you're missing a spacer the whole cassette will have play in the axial direction.

Archived