Rogue Riding at Meerendal

Mamil

Did a little loop at Meerendal today - got to the top of Dorstberg and saw the trail closed sign and turned around and headed back the way I came. I did mutter a curse.

On the way down, two riders, one a kid one a youngster of about 20 hopped onto the trail coming down and started riding it. I caught them at the spot where it crosses over the uphill jeep track and confronted them. Neither had a Tygerberg MTB board, the older kid had a sticker from the club from 2013. Neither had a temp permit, they mentioned the honesty box but hadn't put anything in it.

I lectured them, told them the reasons for the trail closure (very evident that Meerendal had recently put a lot of effort into the trail) and let them go after they promised they were going straight back to the car park.

I'm new to the Tygerbeg MTB club - loving the trails - what a privilege to ride these beautiful places - but it felt pretty cr@p having to play policeman. 

Looking at the other riders I saw on the trails there were at least 6 people I passed (or who passed me, an all too frequent occurrence) who had no club boards and who knows if they had dropped something in the honesty box. 

What's the protocol here - should I have taken photo's of these two criminals who looked at me like I was making a big deal out of nothing and sent them off to the club? Should I have taken their numbers and names and passed them on to the club bosses? 

Thoughts? Do other club members ask people who don't have the boards for their temp permits? It's a no brainer on the member's corridors where it is explicitly known it is members only but on the far more public trails like Meerendal?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, just wow....

I was on Meerendal today. Encountered about 8 riders going down, everyone obeying the rules going down the jeeptrack not the singletrack

Why must there always  be one (in this case 2)

On a sidenote, I got a top 10 position on the singletrack downhill strava segment today because strava don't distinguish between singletrack and jeeptrack... Should I flag my own ride?  :whistling:

Wow, just wow....

I was on Meerendal today. Encountered about 8 riders going down, everyone obeying the rules going down the jeeptrack not the singletrack

Why must there always be one (in this case 2)

On a sidenote, I got a top 10 position on the singletrack downhill strava segment today because strava don't distinguish between singletrack and jeeptrack... Should I flag my own ride? :whistling:

Not sure I should flag you for sneaky cheating, or for only just getting a top 10 coming straight down? :)

The para gliding instructor chirped me for walking up that last section. Of course he got up there in a 4x4. The audacity!

I rode meerendal a week or so back. Asked at the bike shop for a permit, and the guys told me to just put my money in the honesty box and go.

As long as meerendal has an honesty box, it will be abused by trolls.

As an aside, meerendal is a perfect place to take your pregnant wife riding, Trails aren't hard, or too rough, and it has enough in it to be a lekker outing with the Wifey. I totally understand why it is so popular with people starting out mountain biking. Making it all the more important to establish a culture of paying trail fees where applicable.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

and he's f.ukken slow as well.

Ja I dont get it. The trail exit which you pass on your way up is taped off with a big sign (as well as the entrance at the top). But he thought f%&$ this, walked all the way to the top, then sneaked onto the trail to doddle along illegaly at snails pace..

Ja I dont get it. The trail exit which you pass on your way up is taped off with a big sign (as well as the entrance at the top). But he thought f%&$ this, walked all the way to the top, then sneaked onto the trail to doddle along illegaly at snails pace..

He has done 92km since Jan. He has probably never heard of the Hub or TGBMB. probably chasing pokemons. Tjop.

Listen ... I'm not sure I like all this anti slow sentiment here. Jaco may be an ass but not everyone who walks up that hill is a tjop so go easy on us back markers.

Archived