PPA One Tonner 2016

Pure Savage

Started in D-F for the 109km.  Due to very few races last couple of years for PPA, have a bad seeding (F).  Had a great ride in the group and should have a much improved seeding, or so I thought...  but no official race results for me. :thumbdown:   Chip did not register... :eek:

Send Racetec all my details and Garmin file - hope they can fix it, eish!

Awesome day out all in all!

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My hardest race to date, was actually counting down the KM from +- 60 to go when I realized I only have 3 sips of liquid left..

Big Ups to the 2 X Hot Chillee and 1X summit boys , solid ride :thumbup:  :thumbup:  

Thanks Stricker - @CrashTestDummy and I were the two HotChillee guys

yeah one of the hardest PPa races,

those guys were monsters especially in the first half of the race.

kudos to the rest for working together to reel them in after botmans  :thumbup:

manage roll in at 4:28

Thanks @babse. Didn't so much get reeled in as got stuck up in the dismal VA molasses of "we're racing for position, not time, so why should we work, but I'll gladly sit on your wheel". 

Nice to see I wasn't the only one suffering on the day, albeit self inflicted. I was the dude on the Bianchi in Oryx kit  :thumbup:

Those two HC riders are ride captains for the Rouleur - masters at long distance riding and can definitely put on the hurt.

Somewhat glad and disappointed I didn't suck their wheel, but it was a (3 man) DC team ride for me. Had a fun breakaway with just under 3Km to go  :whistling:

We had to make a call at the top of Botmans - wait up or go for it with 4 riders. Obviously we chose to go for it. A few more pairs of legs might have made our crusade stick.

I was in the Sanlam kit 

I didn't even knew I was riding with the famous Breezer  ^_^

And I didn't know that I was riding with the famous Skubarra & Breezer :-) . Great work!

I was the dude in the red and blue kit. Hitched the Savage train after a brief stop on Botmas.

Thanks @babse. Didn't so much get reeled in as got stuck up in the dismal VA molasses of "we're racing for position, not time, so why should we work, but I'll gladly sit on your wheel". 

We had to make a call at the top of Botmans - wait up or go for it with 4 riders. Obviously we chose to go for it. A few more pairs of legs might have made our crusade stick

I was one of the guys who had been chasing since Helz and just never bridged the gap - navigating the Elites crash just snapped the elastic and you guys were gone.

We had to make a call at the top of Botmans - wait up or go for it with 4 riders. Obviously we chose to go for it. A few more pairs of legs might have made our crusade stick.

Ah....

Lovely ride gents , pity we couldn't let the break stick. Next time :thumbup:

Shame feel sorry for the poor okes in A bunch who thought it was going to be a normal day at the office and a free ride. The bunch was shattered all over the place.

Shame feel sorry for the poor okes in A bunch who thought it was going to be a normal day at the office and a free ride. The bunch was shattered all over the place.

I am just happy that I did not start with them. Even B was to fast for me!

Pace was not as hot as $ , we had a neutral start...could explain the time.

LBL had more then enough time to enter pretty poor that guys are covering up for elites LOL our first league race was cancelled , I take it they lined up for that one? since they have no comms?

maybe it was there weekend off ? 

There was a serious accident in $ ...blood with eyeballs :mellow: , hope the guys are okay 

Started in D, was quite nervous about it, never rode this high up before.

Someone said we could actually get a sub 5, which i was quite surprised by.

First thing i noticed, this was the first one tonner where I didnt stop, the bunch didnt do the stop im used to at riebeek.  As a result under fuelled and didnt refill my bottles.

5km from the end I bonked, rode solo and lost the group, Still ended 16th in D with a 4:47

All things considered, I surprised myself. Pace was hot by my standards.

Ja, I have a dodgy photo of one of your team mates (well in HC kit anyway) coming up VIljoens from the dam side. Was with a whole bunch of others riders and support vehicles holding up traffic.

Good to hear you guys all had a good time with the awesome weather and you all kept safe.

Started in D, was quite nervous about it, never rode this high up before.

Someone said we could actually get a sub 5, which i was quite surprised by.

First thing i noticed, this was the first one tonner where I didnt stop, the bunch didnt do the stop im used to at riebeek.  As a result under fuelled and didnt refill my bottles.

5km from the end I bonked, rode solo and lost the group, Still ended 16th in D with a 4:47

All things considered, I surprised myself. Pace was hot by my standards.

We stopped from D twice yesterday, once for comfort once for jelly babies and a bananana. Most of us finished in 4:44.

I must say, the group at the end was very happy to offer riders water at the end. (I think it was to lighten their load for the last rollers though. ) Should have offered to lighten the load :P 

Always interesting to see who prints for 4th place in D bunch but has struggled to take a turn on the front of the group for the final sprint! :P

We stopped from D twice yesterday, once for comfort once for jelly babies and a bananana. Most of us finished in 4:44.

I must say, the group at the end was very happy to offer riders water at the end. (I think it was to lighten their load for the last rollers though. ) Should have offered to lighten the load :P

Always interesting to see who prints for 4th place in D bunch but has struggled to take a turn on the front of the group for the final sprint! :P

Yes, quite a few Pure Savage okes in D. some stopped at riebeek, some didnt, You okes rode lekker, thanks :)

Had great race, very surprised to get away with a 3:10 in the 109km at this stage of the season. Awesome weather, well organised although could have started on time.

Must say, this was my first one tonner, did it with my brother and the timefreight team from I. Was fun, cycled to the start, paced the loop and cycled home, total distance 230. Very glad the wind turned. Unfortunately punctured at the bottom of bothmans hill, so rode the first half to the waterpoint with the flat and then chased the rest of the team after the tube change.

One strange thing. In cape town they can organize a 170km race and all theguys pitch up and it gets great support, do this in Gauteng and almost no one enters, wish they could make a race like this in GP.

Archived