MTB - Practice makes perfect ?

After I had a little argument about how to do technical training on a MTB I thought it would be a good idea to ask u okes on your thoughts .

Scenario : There is a drop of that you are not comfortable riding , do you

A : walk it once , maybe twice and then try it

B : Just do it

C : practice a smaller one untill you feel ready for the big one .

D : ask me to do it , takes notes on how to fall properly and then do it or laught ur ass off

My theory is that when you get to an obsticale and you don't wanna ride it then walk it ! I have found that the next time you get to same obsticale you will most probably ride it . (Ask EWEP)

The other gentleman said that if you are not going to ride something then what are you doing there in the first place . First go and practice in your backgarden and make sure you can clear the rose garden before getting onto the trial .

I would go with your theory DR. On lapped courses i usually walk (did this on the drop off before the tunnel at N/F 1st time) then ride the drop off 2nd time.

Practice on smaller ones till you are confident and then check the line of the more experienced...........THEN GO FOR IT!!

If you are going to fall you will. I have done more endovers than i can care to remember on drop-off's and obsticals that i am comfortable with than on new ones.

I think I get too ballsy and push too far/fast for my own good.

You are so right about falling on/down obsticales you are familiar with . And that is excatly how my argument started . I pointed out a spot on the track that I thought was dangerous and it was pionted out to me that if I am going to fall there then I should not have been there in the first place !!  

No Risk no Gain.. got to try Faster - Bigger. It's the only way we can get better.

However, of late after the last few falls, i must admit i have been very carfull, but it will change again.

I had my tyres to had in the KtoC and had a big moment on one of the first turns going down the pass. after this i was realy a wimp.

someone even caught me on the downhills. Most embarrasing!Disapprove

I would go with your theory DR. On lapped courses i usually walk (did this on the drop off before the tunnel at N/F 1st time) then ride the drop off 2nd time.

Is that a drop-off ?  didn't really notice it Wink

My thought process is that if it looks to steep for my abilities, I'd rather walk down, but having said that I'd also be prepared to give it a bash. You can't fall to hard if you're going slow !!

Except if you're on top of the building at Logwood, then I wouldn't even try getting up there let alone riding down LOL

Have to agree with Dick's advise.

Generally I find that if I get into trouble , relaxing and trusting the bike's abilities helps. My bike has gotten me out of more trouble than I can count.

Even after 8 years of MTBing I tend to err on the side of caution when faced with technical sections that I have not seen before. If on a ride I will stop and inspect or walk first. If on a race I will try to follow the obvious line. (Normally have someone in front to watch what they do).

Practise makes perfect and builds confidence. Momentem and not flat out speed are generally your best friend in tricky situations.

When one approaches a drop off, you must ask yourself, will it be faster to walk it, or to attempt it then pick yourself up and after you have wiped out and got going again.

DR, you know my feeling about the whole setup.  I was shyte scared of a climb and then drop off at a certain place.  Dropoff was quite steep, roots on the down and a jump at the bottom.  First time, eish, I maka de walkies.  Second time, tried it, but very careful, third time, swoosh, up and down, jump, everything.

Honestly, try the difficult ones, walk what you feel you can't do, the next time, 95% of the time, you'll RIDE it!!!

I've only been doing this MTB thing for about 9 months now...and with age comes fear!  This, coupled with the fact that a spectacular endo on the track about a year ago, followed by a few on the MTB since then has left me with a pinched nerve in the neck region, has made me somewhat reluctant to try dropoffs that have the potential to pitch me on my head!  Bottom line is:  I separate in my mind the can do's and cannot do's and I live with that.  Any suggestion from fellow MTBers about my apparent yellow colouring I treat with a certain gesture.  I also subscribe to the walk it once and then ride it...I you walk it twice you will probably never ride it.

Having said all that, like DR said, is it not strange how we fall off where we KNOW the obstacles?  Ducked inder a branch last evening, and came up a little too soon....Ouch funny how quickly a MTB can change direction!

I agree with the walk first then ride, but as a girl I can attest that sometimes you have to walk it more than once before riding it, I suppose we have to build up the mental strength? I also went through a stage of overconfidence and took a number of hard falls in a short space of time. I've regressed a bit since then, but I think it's been a good thing. Forced me to go back to Logwood green routes and perfect some technique...

Get comfortable with the smaller obsticals and then move on to the bigger ones. Sometimes you must just do and don't over annalise. And this comes from a guy that does not even have a MTB, yet.

mampara' date=' i hope by the weekend you have one![/quote']

I started shopping again yesterday and last night driving home my car started makeing this terrible sqweeking noice. If it is still covered by the warrentee the shopping will continue but if not, I'll have to postpone till pay day, again. By the way, you must check out the new Olympic hurricane II MTB shoes. Black with a moulded heel cup. Very snazzy.