Hahahaha,jip,one gear at a time

????????????????????

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Black Scott with red bar tape - hopefully i remember names while suffering

thats easy to remember,got red bar tape myself . Easy to spot ???? Edited by Pikey

Just a note to all the first timers; first do a cautious lap to check out the descents as the road was not designed for high speeds like we're used to riding outside the reserve. (Especially at +-15km into the big lap).  My friend nearly lost his life there smashing into the barriers a few weeks back and the although the authorities were very helpful there is no quick way in and out for medical assistance.

Go have fun, it's probably one of the best places to ride your bike in Gauteng

Just a note to all the first timers; first do a cautious lap to check out the descents as the road was not designed for high speeds like we're used to riding outside the reserve. (Especially at +-15km into the big lap).  My friend nearly lost his life there smashing into the barriers a few weeks back and the although the authorities were very helpful there is no quick way in and out for medical assistance.

100% agree

Agree fully with this...

My brother in law crashed into the barrier and clipped his shin on a bolt that was sticking out, cut wide open. This happened on the right turn near the bottom of this decent.

Officials were there in a couple of minutes, and while we were waiting two other people crashed a bit higher from where we were.

Alot of blind corners and at that speed its easy to loose it when you dont know what is coming next.

Needless to say all is fine with him now, couple of stitches and a swollen leg...

Edited by Marq001

From sounding very good it starting to seem dangerous...

Anyway I will be in Jozi next week and will try this out on the 4th.

Additional note to first timers: make sure you have kit to sort out flats, its a long way back, often little traffic later and few lifts offered (speak from experience the once I left my saddle bag @ home)

Just one of the decents can get very fast and the turns are very sharp, otherwise safe.

It's one of the best places to ride, so much fun... Just be cautious first time around when you don't know the corners.  It is really only that first twisty downhill that has the blind corners

Probably a dumb question but how does riding SBR (one lap) compare to the 947? Obviously its much shorter but if you're able to ride SBR is the 947 doable? First timer here so I'm just interested to hear. 

Probably a dumb question but how does riding SBR (one lap) compare to the 947? Obviously its much shorter but if you're able to ride SBR is the 947 doable? First timer here so I'm just interested to hear.

Yes I think it is a good gauge

Edited by Dexter-morgan

Roughly the same amount of climbing as 947.  Most of the climbs, especially the big climb is a lot steeper than anything you will encounter on 947.

I have always been about 25 min slower on 947 than SBR, at about the same part of the season.

Still possibly the best place to ride a bike in Gauteng.

In December 2015, I caught the animals crossing from the ridge to the plains, after the climb from the dam.  Had to even stop when a herd of Zebra were crossing the road.  Nothing better.  Happened 3 times out of the 4 rides I did in December.