Riding at Suikerbosrand?

Matuka

Hahahaha. I have always been facinated by geology. It was a bonus to date a geologist. I nag her about stuff constantly. I have had her drive me all over Joburg with the PH.D. Friend and had them explain it all to me.

The thing I wrote above is a bit misleading where I say it's all sedimentary metamorphic. That applies only to the wits group. The andesite is obviously not sedimentary and not part of the wits group.

Most of the it must be the Andesite (which is listed as extrusive igneous, volcanic rock) though it was kinda brown last time I looked. Any idea how old that is? or when it happened? before or after the Vredefort big bang?

I haven't seen much sedimentary, though there is some on the eastern side in the low lands if  remember correctly< i think I need another visit its been a while.

Though taking of a big turn of the pedals, looking forward to the Crater Cruise, love that area, immensely interesting geologically speaking,.

Edited by kosmonooit

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please be careful especially the new guys there is a couple of fast sections and lots of sharp turns  

Most of the it must be the Andesite (which is listed as extrusive igneous, volcanic rock) though it was kinda brown last time I looked. Any idea how old that is? or when it happened? before or after the Vredefort big bang?

I haven't seen much sedimentary, though there is some on the eastern side in the low lands if  remember correctly< i think I need another visit its been a while.

Though taking of a big turn of the pedals, looking forward to the Crater Cruise, love that area, immensely interesting geologically speaking,.

Most of its in fact quartzite. Very hard. That's from the Wits group. The Andesite weathers to a brown. You can see the color where it's freshly broken. The Wits group was put down in a kind of shallow inland sea before the Vredefort impact. It's why the Wits layers are all so steeply angled. As I understand it Joburg is on the edge of the crater.

I think the Andesite was just after the impact.

OK so here are the dates roughly I think. Wits group put down between 3 billion to 2.7 billion years. Vredefort impact 2 billion. Ventersdorp 2.7 to 2.6. Amazing really.

Another question I have, is the picnic area which is halfway around the course a safe place for families? My wife and very little kids want to come out for the day but I just dont know if its safe for them out there as its quite isolated. Yes I'm a bit paranoid hahaha!

Edited by Matuka

Another question I have, is the picnic area which is halfway around the course a safe place for families? My wife and very little kids want to come out for the day but I just dont know if its safe for them out there as its quite isolated. Yes I'm a bit paranoid hahaha!

Dont see why not, havent heard of any trouble in SBR as a whole.

There is normally a few people at that same picnic spot as well, otherwise if it makes you feel better the picnic spots at the Northern entrance has always got people there. 

There is normally a few people at that same picnic spot as well, otherwise if it makes you feel better the picnic spots at the Northern entrance has always got people there. 

Great thanks!

Years ago we hiked and picnicked there and I didn't feel unsafe. 

Edited by mr_stig

SBR on Saturday...hard as usual with a bit of wind. Enjoyed the ride. Was good to see a few riders sharing the suffering!

I will be there this coming Saturday for some suffering. First time so just going to cruise around there.

I will be there this coming Saturday for some suffering. First time so just going to cruise around there.

will also be there this saturday :thumbup:

haha yeah I mean take it easy so I don't fall off dead before completing a loop

In order to avoid falling off, through lack of momentum, one has to approach death at SBR!

All just scare-mongering really! :clap:  Just don't be put off by the first few kms, and keep plenty in the tank for the 40+ km mark..... :whistling:

I had a great ride on Sunday. First timer so it wasnt really great it was painful as hell! But overall I really enjoyed it. Saw some friendly riders out there but also some not so friendly ones. I overtook a couple on MTBs on a hill and gave a cheery (or what I thought was cheery) hello. I just got stared at and ignored. Was on the road a bit further up sorting out a mechanical and they both rode passed without saying a word. They just shared a laugh. Not sure what etiquette is on the road but I assumed it was like running when you greet each other? Doesnt really matter though it was a great day I'll be out there again!