Giant Propel Brakes Issue

button

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets hope that 25c stay in vogue long enough to make the purchase worth it :P

Haha ya ya... You got to jump on the band wagon to have your own opinion ????

Hey Guys,

I have just put 25mm tyres on my propel (2015 Propel Advanced SL 2). Problem is that when the breaks are under load the cable of the back V-brake rubs on the tyre. I only noticed this the other day... a few weeks after putting the tyres on...

I have done plenty research and it seems that this is a genuine issue with the propel frame. It makes little sense to me that Giant would make such an advanced frame and not provision for bigger tyres? Anyway...

I have taken the bike to my local bike worskshop and we tried to adjust the breaks to allow for more clearnace. It seemed to work, leaving a paper thin slice of daylight between the tyre and the cable when the brakes are under load. A few rides later I was back at sqaure one...

So my first question is doesn anyone have a solution to this problem?

I saw the Alpecin team ride the same frame but they have installed Fouriers V-brakes on the riders bikes and they aslo ride 25mm vittoria. Google says the Fouriers breaks provide more clearance that the standard Giant TRP V-brake. So my second question is does anyone know where I can source Fouriers brakes...

Hope someone can help... this is starting to annoy me.

Cheers!

HI - not sure if anyone replied on the thread but as one of those who read my Propel user manual from page to page it states in there that the frame will only take 23c tyres (mine is a 2015 early model - as far as i am aware the "upgrade" to allow for 25c tyres was essentially done mid 2015)  i run a set of Ksyrium pro SL's with 25c and it just JUST clears the cable when the brakes are pulled - as one commentator suggested look for a slightly wider rim that should be a little more forgiving on the spacing issue, but not too wide as then the rims will touch the pads out the saddle....hope that helps

HI - not sure if anyone replied on the thread but as one of those who read my Propel user manual from page to page it states in there that the frame will only take 23c tyres (mine is a 2015 early model - as far as i am aware the "upgrade" to allow for 25c tyres was essentially done mid 2015) i run a set of Ksyrium pro SL's with 25c and it just JUST clears the cable when the brakes are pulled - as one commentator suggested look for a slightly wider rim that should be a little more forgiving on the spacing issue, but not too wide as then the rims will touch the pads out the saddle....hope that helps

Thanks for this... I got my propel second hand and I think it's also the early 2015 model... Going to see if these breaks make a difference otherwise it's back to 23c tyres...

I run 25c fortezza senso on zipp 303 non firecrest. Even the Giant brand brakes has an issue. The curve on the arm makes the arm touch the tyres. Had to fit a spacer behind the pads to make them stick out more.

Even wider rims will be better as the top of the brake arms will be further away when the pads make contact. Or use 23c tyres.

This thread is breaking my eyes. Please put the brakes on it.

haha.. even me! They only arriving here sunday and I'm away from saturday till next week saturday :thumbdown:  

I also have a problem with my propel rear brakes. The screw that holds the brake cable in place on the calliper.  Nobody has one and I'm finding it impossible to get hold of...very frustrating. But back to you

I also have a problem with my propel rear brakes. The screw that holds the brake cable in place on the calliper.  Nobody has one and I'm finding it impossible to get hold of...very frustrating. But back to you

well if my new brakes fit you can have my old screw :thumbup: :clap:

We had exactly the same problem. Took it to the LBS I bought the bike from and they (not sure if it was LBS or Giant) replaced the brake calipers with longer lever ones - free of charge. According to them this was a design issue that they rectified.

I run 25c fortezza senso on zipp 303 non firecrest. Even the Giant brand brakes has an issue. The curve on the arm makes the arm touch the tyres. Had to fit a spacer behind the pads to make them stick out more.

Even wider rims will be better as the top of the brake arms will be further away when the pads make contact. Or use 23c tyres.

NOOOOOOOOO You did not just say that. :whistling:

• 6 years later...

Hi all. Does anybody know if the tcr frame of this date range has any similar issues? Thanks in advance 

MikeH :)

TCR doesn't have intrgrated brakes so you will be limited by the frame. It will depend on the year of the frame if it can take 25 or 28mm. Remember you can add 2/3mm to a continental tire to het the sizing. I would rather fit Pirelli tires as they measure 25mm as indicated and it is alot easier fitting them as well and replacing an inner tube.

Edited by Zatek