Terrible Bike service

Irshaadmayet

@'Cippo

Waar val jy uit, 16 pages on and you chime in now only!

For a lekker Koeksisters try the caltex at the waterfront on a Sunday morning, homemade style fresh from their bakery...

Yum, oh and a Seattle Coffee

nooit guy, as a last move desperation attempt, I will buy from a shop. Homemade is the best, especially from your mom, aunt or gran.

Everything else is well just bought.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the ship I'm on received some of those horrifying store made patties. This morning I transformed four of those into these for breakfast:

attachicon.gif20160902_050704.jpg

attachicon.gif20160902_050042.jpg

attachicon.gif20160902_050958.jpg

They came out ok considering the lowish quality of the mince and the slight overload of thyme, other than that it was pretty decent.

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

The only store bought patties that I really really like is from Wembley butcher.

After that it is a toss up between Good Hope, Shoukats and Dawoods.

nooit guy, as a last move desperation attempt, I will buy from a shop. Homemade is the best, especially from your mom, aunt or gran.

The ou mense use to make it the best. The naartjie peels the bake in the oven. Then when its hard they take it out and grind it into a powder to through into the dough. THAT is an authentic koesiester. The shape is irrelevant. Everything else is koeksisters to me. But I just call them all the former since nobody makes the distinction anymore.

My ouma use to make it like that every single time. My mom says it takes too much time and that she has to ask everyone in the house to eat a bag of naartjies just to do it. So not worth it. My wife doesn't make them at all. In fact its kind of sad that women our age hardly make the old school stuff anymore. Brownies, pavlova, mulva, pancakes, etc. I don't say no. But I wish she could make the stuff of yesteryear. Something you bite into and the nostalgic taste immediately throws you back to Bo Kaap when you were a laaitie in your Ouma's house. 

The ou mense use to make it the best. The naartjie peels the bake in the oven. Then when its hard they take it out and grind it into a powder to through into the dough. THAT is an authentic koesiester. The shape is irrelevant. Everything else is koeksisters to me. But I just call them all the former since nobody makes the distinction anymore.

My ouma use to make it like that every single time. My mom says it takes too much time and that she has to ask everyone in the house to eat a bag of naartjies just to do it. So not worth it. My wife doesn't make them at all. In fact its kind of sad that women our age hardly make the old school stuff anymore. Brownies, pavlova, mulva, pancakes, etc. I don't say no. But I wish she could make the stuff of yesteryear. Something you bite into and the nostalgic taste immediately throws you back to Bo Kaap when you were a laaitie in your Ouma's house. 

Yep indeed, my mom and wife makes it like this. Infact we have some peels drying out at home.

WTF!!!

Terrible bike service to Koeksisters to breakfast patties

What's going on here?

I'm calling Die Muishond to restore some order on the Hub :whistling:

always amuses me that despite all the protestations of racial difference and superiority and such BS, that we're all just EXACTLY the same. In every single way. Yes, there are cultural differences and practices that one does that another doesn't, but at the end of the day we're just human. And I bet nothing riles the nutters up as much as that realisation... 

My mom still makes about 500 "rum truffles" each year for christmas, and it's a week-long exercise. My gran used to bake mince pies (christmas ones) each year, with the SOFTEST pastry I've ever, ever eaten. She did that up until about 2 years ago, when the dementia started to kick in and she couldn't cook anymore. My mom now does those AND the rum truffles. Those rum truffles are so many peoples' favourite gifts come festive season, but my mom HATES making them 'cos the durban humidity is always too high for the chocolate centres to stay cold. But she makes them every year, 'cos, well, it's just WHAT WE DO. 

Turkey and gammon is my bag, and each person in the family used to have their "thing" to do. Should have seen the anger in my Gran's eyes when one of my cousins said "come to my house for christmas, I'm putting a chicken on the weber" - if you've never seen an 80 year old Austrian Jew with seething anger, it's just like what I imagine your auntie / mom / gran would have when someone tells her that what she's been doing for the past 30 to 40 years isn't good enough anymore. 

But ja - ladies don't seem to have the same desire for cooking. Maybe it's a generational thing, maybe it's the empowerment generation where women "shouldn't be cooking, they should be working" (as if cooking, cleaning and looking after the kids isn't one of the most demanding jobs in the world) - I dunno. 

But ja. My gran's Lemon Curd, onion marmalade, orange marmalade, all manner of different preserves, pies, cakes and pastries... Damn. 

Much like my grandfather's woodwork. There isn't a piece of furniture in their or my parents' houses, or any of my cousins that wasn't made by him, except the couches and beds of course...

Different generations... 

Yep indeed, my mom and wife makes it like this. Infact we have some peels drying out at home.

A good option if you don't want to eat a bag of naartjies in a day is to just get a box of them and each time you eat one, pop the peel in a blikkie then put it in the freezer. Keeps it ready for dehydrating in the oven. 

You can't carry koeksisters when you on your ride around the peninsula, hence the stop at the Caltex, it tastes just like the tieties in the neighbourhoods ones...

????

You can't carry koeksisters when you on your ride around the peninsula, hence the stop at the Caltex, it tastes just like the tieties in the neighbourhoods ones...

????

Just reread the above post and that sounds just wrong on so many levels...

But ja - ladies don't seem to have the same desire for cooking. Maybe it's a generational thing, maybe it's the empowerment generation where women "shouldn't be cooking, they should be working" (as if cooking, cleaning and looking after the kids isn't one of the most demanding jobs in the world) - I dunno. 

As homemakers our mothers and grandmothers obsessed over the trivial details not because there was nothing else for them to consider as important. They did because FAMILY was important. That was their job. Our happiness. 

As homemakers our mothers and grandmothers obsessed over the trivial details not because there was nothing else for them to consider as important. They did because FAMILY was important. That was their job. Our happiness. 

the gom that helped us stay together, yeah. 

And tbh it's such an undervalued vocation, homemaking. 

Cant scroll through 17 pages to find the answer - which shop and what was the owners response? (Or what page is it on?)

The unidentified owner offered the OP home made koeksisters and the matter is now resolved

If ever you go past Shoukits in Thornton road opposite Sinton High, they sell raw koesiesters in 10's. Made like the old tiieties used to with aniseed in. You can even freeze them and take them out the night before to syrup on Sunday. Syrup is basically cup of sugar to cup of water. Trick is to get consistency right and not to syrup too long. My mother used to add cinnamon sticks and cardamon to syrup. My wife pops the raw koesiesters in microwave for a min before syrup then you don't have to leave the it in syrup too long.

Archived