Is the BMC sportelite SE24 worth the money

Awakener

Hi all

Was at cyclelap today and there is a 24 inch BMC bike that my some loved. But next to it was a fuji bike for R1500 less and from what I could see had the same major components. The only main deference was the BMC had SR Suntour M3020 forks and the fuji suntour XCT. But I don't know why but the BMC just felt better and my son said it rode better. But at just under R6k it's a heavy price tag for a 24inch kids bike. My question is being a real noob to the sport is the BMC worth the extra Cash and if not what are the good 24inch to look at. My son is a ln active and very good rider and tall for his age so I don't need anything that is designed "to hold his hand". Looking more towards performance and durability. There was a Momsen I see on the sight that was perfect but sold already and new they over R8k so out of budget. Any advice would be appreciated.

Oh yes want to throw the titan range in as well please... Especially the Titan Hades 24-9R Disc Boys Bike, like the 24inch frame with 26inch wheels.

I would always say YES if its an investment into youths cycling.

My rule in life: Give them the best, make them love it, its a lifetime investiment (versus giving them something which will make them hate it.....)

Best with your decision, hope its an Awakener... 

The BMC is a really 'quality' bike. You'll be able to sell it on a year when he outgrows it. Maybe compare prices with Swiss Cycles in Rosebank.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Buy him what he likes then he will ride the wheels of that thing. Otherwise he will ride it for a couple of weeks then it will start gathering dust because it just doesn't excite him enough. I think at his age specs and quality don't matter much. It must just put a big wide grin on his face and leave a trail of pixie dust.

Buy him what he likes then he will ride the wheels of that thing. Otherwise he will ride it for a couple of weeks then it will start gathering dust because it just doesn't excite him enough. I think at his age specs and quality don't matter much. It must just put a big wide grin on his face and leave a trail of pixie dust.

This. I think of how much happier I was on a better bike or after an upgrade.... The happier he is, the more he'll ride. For my money that's worth it. 

Titan 24 9er is an excellent bike 24"frame with 26" wheels. I just bought one for my daughter last month for less than 5k and she loves it!

Thanks all for the comments, really appreciate it. We are new to the sport and so far loving it. I agree put him on something that brings a smile to his dile.he grows like a weed though so perhaps the titan 29r is a better investment. Think I will let him Rey it and if he does not like it then I will go with the BMC. Again thanks for the support all

Just to let you all know went for the apple on the dial route and picked up the BMC sportelite SE24 for my son and he was over the moon. Already clocked more hours on it the first day then I do a week. I do hear a "ticking" noise even time he peddles though and can't seem to figure it out? Any ideas.

Congrats on the purchase! Click noise can be caused by many things. Often a bottom bracket, drivetrain, pedals or seatpost related. If you can't locate, take it to the shop of the purchase. They should sort you out.

• 1 year later...

An old thread, but does anyone know the weight of the BMC Sportelite Acera 24" Mountain Bike?

Thanks

Archived