Best road to Uniondale? (K2C)

eddie.lubbe

For K2C riders travelling to Uniondale from Cape Town - which road is best? I believe there are roadworks in Ashton/Montagu area?

We always take the N2. Then from George N12 then N9.

attachicon.gifroute k2c.png

I would take the N2 to just beyond Swellendam and then catch the R62 at Barrydale.

Stay on the R62 until Oudtshoorn, carry on to de Rust and then turn towards Uniondale.

It appears about 12 Km longer that doing it via George, but it is an infinitely easier (and more interesting) drive. I think also faster.

Oh & watch out for speed traps when passing through the little Dorpies 100% guarenteed they will be there waiting to capture you.

Oh & watch out for speed traps when passing through the little Dorpies 100% guarenteed they will be there waiting to capture you.

Agreed  :ph34r:  :cursing:  :eek:  FFS

Speed traps in Robertson and Ashton only catching towards CPT. Roadworks not to bad between Ashton and Montagu. Maybe 2x10min waiting periods. If you are travelling on Tuesday or Thursday road will be closed from 11am - 1pm

I would take the N2 to just beyond Swellendam and then catch the R62 at Barrydale.

Stay on the R62 until Oudtshoorn, carry on to de Rust and then turn towards Uniondale.

It appears about 12 Km longer that doing it via George, but it is an infinitely easier (and more interesting) drive. I think also faster.

Not so sure - yes more interesting if you are a tourist and are doing sightseeing but the stretch between Barrydale and Oudtshoorn not particularly quick to travel on imo, mountainous, no shoulders on the road for cars to pull over etc which slows you down.

My personal preference would be the N1 and then over Prince Albert, but ultimately not a big difference between N1, N2 & R62 - no option is going to be vastly quicker than the other.

If traveling N2 via Mosselbay, speed cameras at Petro SA, at Total/Engen garages, just before Mosselbay as you come down the hill seeing the sea, just after the Mosselbay turn-off, again lots between Klein and Groot Brak Rivier then normally none to George and then through George almost between every traffic light and up the Outeniqua pass. Beware this is traffic cam heaven.

And then they check for bikeracks that is non legal - numberplates and lights being non visible due to bikes blocking them.

Another option is take the N1 and go through Prince Albert on the R 407. Nice route, and a lekker stop in Price Albert. 5.5 hrs from Brackenfell at all the legal limits.

Archived