Gps watch

Alexander Schuddinh

take alot had the daily deal in the week on a suunto ambit3 with hr strap for R3800 and I pulled the trigger suited my buget of under 5k used the 'change' for a wahoo cadence sensor to link with it, the tomtom multisport also on daily deal for R2800 ,

Aaah damn pity I missed that. Looking at getting a Suunto ambit 3 myself. Just reading up on the differences between the HR models, the run models etc... Any advice?

It seems the Suunto only connects to iPhones? Is it not Android compatible?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

P.S. is it worth the extra bucks to get the Ambit Sport instead of the Run which is a bit cheaper, but obviously geared towards runners. Dunno if this will make any difference to a cyclist though?

Aaah damn pity I missed that. Looking at getting a Suunto ambit 3 myself. Just reading up on the differences between the HR models, the run models etc... Any advice?

It seems the Suunto only connects to iPhones? Is it not Android compatible?

I had the Ambit 1 which i gave to my wife since I "HAD TO" upgrade to the Ambit 3 Peak and I love it.....Everything just works.

Sure it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Garmin Fenix 3 but i don't use all the "smart watch" features like the whatsapp and email notifications anyway.. When I am out on a ride I want to forget about all that.

The biggest difference between the Peak and the sports/run models are the battery life.

The peak has 20 Hours battery life in 1 sec GPS recording intervals and the sport and run only has 10. There are a few other smaller differences but for me that is the main reason why I chose the Peak.

Also I have an Android phone and all my workouts are downloaded effortlessly via Bluetooth connection to my phone.

I might be biased but SUUNTO is awesome.   

I had the Ambit 1 which i gave to my wife since I "HAD TO" upgrade to the Ambit 3 Peak and I love it.....Everything just works.

Sure it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Garmin Fenix 3 but i don't use all the "smart watch" features like the whatsapp and email notifications anyway.. When I am out on a ride I want to forget about all that.

The biggest difference between the Peak and the sports/run models are the battery life.

The peak has 20 Hours battery life in 1 sec GPS recording intervals and the sport and run only has 10. There are a few other smaller differences but for me that is the main reason why I chose the Peak.

Also I have an Android phone and all my workouts are downloaded effortlessly via Bluetooth connection to my phone.

I might be biased but SUUNTO is awesome.   

Thanks for the feedback. Does the peak have the HR strap or is it on the wrist? Sounds like most people prefer the strap so that you can put the watch on your handlebars..

Stupid question, but how does it charge? I presume it comes with a charger that you just plug in?

What else does it give you other than the normal speed, HR, Altitude etc?

Also it has great battery life if you just use it as a watch you can go for 10 days without charging it.  You could almost go through a stage race at full gps mode without charging it (depends how fast you ride :whistling: ), also it charges very fast have not timed it but it takes a fraction of the time of my other devices.

Your are torturing me.......  I want one so badly. 

I have the VivoSmart HR and absolutely love it, but my version doesn't have the GPS I broadcast my HR to my Garmin Edge to get my heart rate when cycling.

Actually struggling to decide between the Vivo Active HR or the VivoSmart HR + 

Think the later might be the better option for mtbing as less chance of the face being smashed.

Edited by Ratty

Thanks for the feedback. Does the peak have the HR strap or is it on the wrist? Sounds like most people prefer the strap so that you can put the watch on your handlebars..

Stupid question, but how does it charge? I presume it comes with a charger that you just plug in?

What else does it give you other than the normal speed, HR, Altitude etc?

• It has a HR strap
  • It has a USB cable that clamps around the watch. So, you can charge via your PC or any adapter USB plug. In normal use (no GPS recording) the battery can last 30 days. Also you can change the GPS recording intervals to save battery life.
  • Link to comparison and all features:
  • http://www.suunto.com/en-us/compare-products?products=12652;12647 

• It has a HR strap
  • It has a USB cable that clamps around the watch. So, you can charge via your PC or any adapter USB plug. In normal use (no GPS recording) the battery can last 30 days. Also you can change the GPS recording intervals to save battery life.
  • Link to comparison and all features:
  • http://www.suunto.com/en-us/compare-products?products=12652;12647 

Thanks I-Man. Decisions decisions...  :wacko:

I got myself a Garmin forerunner 15...must say I absolutely love it ! Its a runners watch but works perfectly for cycling if you don't need cadence etc. It has everything and is very easy to use...upload your rides to Strava / trainingpeaks / garmin connect... super easy and does the trick!

Why I didn't go for the cycling one was the fact that I do spinning as well..then ill still have all my HR data etc. again I upload this to strava to keep track of everything.

Got it through Multiply for like R1800 about 18 months ago

Hi

Any practical input/reviews of the Ambit2 S vs the Ambit3?

Need to replace my Polar RS800cx....

Anything else?

Budget would be around 4k

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I have the ambit 3 and Im very happy with it, I use it for everything from swimming - cycling and it never skips a beat.

It all depends on what information you are after once done with your ride. I got a Forerunner 25 and Edge 500. They tell me everything I want to know and I got them cheap. So happy days for me.

Get a Fenix 3 and be done with it, best watch you will ever buy. Get one with an HR strap so you can mount it to the handlebar for those long rides.

I had a few watches before this, the Fenix 3 is just miles ahead of anything else out there (except maybe a Suunto Ambit 3 peak).

Edit: you can pick one up new for around 7, they are on special allot since the HR version came out. Peronally I would stick with the HR strap because you can the mount the watch on your handlebars and still see your HR.

Hmm dunno where you shop cause the cheapest I've seen the fenix 3 is 9k