E - Bikes

Skott5

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been riding around with the Specialized Turbo S the last couple of days. As a commuter it's brilliant. Would I ride an electric on a trail? No. The suffering is part of the fun of cycling.

Great post ????????

• 3 months later...

having ridden 3 Epics, (done some hard yards...) and being only JUST the wrong side of 50, i could not give a toss what others think about me on an E-bike!  :drool:

Most passing judgement have never ridden one, and as for my mates, anyone 'never letting me live it down' could p!ss off!  :devil:

To be fair, I broke a leg - badly - and after the doctor 'prescribed' a stationary bike to rebuild both muscle-strength, as well as fitness, i rather (with his approval) electrified and old MTB, and never had as much fun!

I work HARDER with it  - on the flats anyway - since i pedal with it OFF, meaning extra 5-10% resistance (electric motors create resistance) and then there is the extra 8kg of motor+battery.

Its brilliant for commuting; gives me a helping hand up Suikerbossie, and allows me to accelerate AWAY from peak hour traffic when stopped at traffic lights. Downhills and flats, i don't use it, gale-force South Easter, with the CT harbour cranes not working due to wind, I cycle thru the Habour using pedal assist level 3 (of 9 available levels), and can manage the 30-odd km's back to Hout Bay...

then, finally, it I-S fun rocketing past the Lycra clad, neon, advertising-emblazoned roadies on their R50K+ bikes, who look a bit like praying mantis's (!), in my old baggies and an older T-shirt  :devil:

Life is too short, i tell ya.....  :P

At 63 my thoughts exactly. I am planning a long tour on an ebike. Needing advice if anyone has done this.