Amashova race prep

Joe_Cogs

Hi guys,

As a relatively inexperienced rider doing my first big race (Amashova), I would appreciate some advice from the vets or anyone who has done it as to how to go about the race. I have heard war stories and want to make sure I firstly am prepared and secondly I enjoy it.

Do you suggest the following:

Food and nutrition: Droe Wors and Biltong for the ride and 2 bottles of rehydrate mixed with energade. I have heard its a hot humid race and maybe taking a camelbak would also help?

Is a good strategy eating every 20mins?

Granny gears going up the hills - slow and steady

I have also been told to sit right on the tip of the seat for more power on hills. It seems to me that I am sore after 50 odd km and can't do this

Any ideas as to how to stop the cramping in bum after half the race? Do you stop and stretch to get it to stop? It almost feels like blood pooling... flipping annoying.

Is it worth having a route profile on your bike as a strategy?

Any other tips would be appreciated! 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If your Goal is to just cross the finish line: 

Amashova has roughly 1296 m of climbing and 1866 m of descending,

So its not exactly a downhill race.

Two uphills you should be weary of , Climb up to Thornville and Inchanga. 

Take it very very slow and easy up all hills. Do not be tempted to go up quick especially on fresh legs on the first few hills. Stay in the shade up Inchanga. 

Get low on your bike down the hills and enjoy the speed. Stay safe. 

Bum pain is inevitable, make a point of every now and then riding off the saddle. 

Use energy bars, take a bite of it every twenty minutes and hydrate as needed. Powerade, Energade works. No rule to how often, but be consistent from the go. 

Enjoy

Don't do analysis paralysis.

What has your longest training ride been? Remember that on the day you're good for an extra 25% distance and typically a 10% speed improvement from most training sessions, simply because of the dynamics of the race if you manage to stick with any groups. How comfortable are you with group riding skills? Can you follow a wheel comfortably and know where to position yourself in a group? These are key skills that you need if you want to truly enjoy a race event and give your best performance. If you know that you do not have enough confidence with doing this well than your strategy needs to be to ride within yourself until you get to the last quarter of the race. If you're still feeling good at that stage, press for the finish, if you're not, you keep going to survive the event.

If you have to stop set a timer so that you do not get 'stuck' on the side of the road. Any breaks need to be just as long as you need to feel relief and then you need to get back on and keep going.

The butt will only come right with time in the saddle. If you've already done tits and it keeps feeling tender, try a different seat. (Also make sure you've had a fresh BSC at least a few days prior... :ph34r:  :ph34r: )

Edited by Tubehunter

Thanks everyone, much appreciated

Tubehunter jou p*!#  :lol: thanks for the advice. I did emperors classic earlier this year and have done mountain bike races and the last race was the Mogale 80km last weekend. 

Thornville and Ichang... got it!

I am going to try this weekend with biltong and see.

Seems cradle is out and Suikerbos broke me... so I'll have to find another place

All good advice.

Wrt sitting on the tip of the saddle... I would suggest that you don't do that for extended periods. Sit further back so your sitting bones are on the wider part of the saddle (should be the most comfortable position). Move around and ride out the saddle every now and then.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated

Tubehunter jou p*!#  :lol: thanks for the advice. I did emperors classic earlier this year and have done mountain bike races and the last race was the Mogale 80km last weekend. 

Thornville and Ichang... got it!

I am going to try this weekend with biltong and see.

Seems cradle is out and Suikerbos broke me... so I'll have to find another place

Suikerbos is the ideal place. Do it again this coming weekend then just recover well. Those climbs will make Amashova seem easy, and more importantly you will be mentally prepared to take on Fox and Inchanga.

Suikerbos is the ideal place. Do it again this coming weekend then just recover well. Those climbs will make Amashova seem easy, and more importantly you will be mentally prepared to take on Fox and Inchanga.

Just worried about that  last suiker climb. I was injured from that.... but will try it again. Thanks 

Thanks!

Jeeezuz that Chris guy is fast, either that or he is a knobhead whos ride should be flagged!

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/221596814772-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

Well with an average speed of 65 km/h there is probably room for doubt haha. :eek:

My name's Chris... why are you doubting?  :ph34r:

Taking into account the other average speeds for that segment it looks impossible. . . and doesn't make sense when you look at the rest of his ride, could just be a GPS issue. . .

However, will report back in 2 weeks after I have ridden it myself for the first time and tell you if it's possible haha