Donald Trump

JuliusM

Nibali

Quintana

????????????????????

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched some of the highlights of previous stages. Big Tom has gotten me interested in this. Has some character, nice foil for the rest of the bunch who are a bit same-same. And a bit too crafty for my liking.

HOMEPAGE

NEWS

CALENDAR

TEAM

PARTNERS

ABOUT US

TECH

FANZONE

PRESS

SHOP

FINAL MOUNTAIN SHOWDOWN SEES TOM DUMOULIN LIMIT LOSSES AHEAD OF MILAN

RIDERS

Tom Dumoulin Tom Stamsnijder Georg Preidler Laurens ten Dam Simon Geschke Chad Haga Sindre Skjøstad Lunke

IN WHAT WAS A NAIL BITING FINALE TO THE LAST MOUNTAIN SHOWDOWN OF THE GIRO D’ITALIA, TOM DUMOULIN REBOUNDED FROM EXPLOSIVE ATTACKS, LIMITING HIS LOSSES ON THE DAY TO JUST 15 SECONDS.

Team Sunweb remained tucked inside the bunch whilst a breakaway spent the day up the road. An injection of pace on the Monte Grappa saw a group of favourites go forward, with Tom Dumoulin making the selection. After a multitude of attacks were neutralised, it was more-or-less stalemate in the group of favourites until the last climb of the day. A regrouping after the Monte Grappa saw Laurens ten Dam and Simon Geschke rejoin Tom in the peloton, and with the final climb looming the team placed him in a prime position ahead of the fireworks. It was on the Foza that the contest for the Maglia Rosa began with attacks from the general classification favourites flooding in by the dozen. After being momentarily distanced, Tom lead the charge to chase the first move down. There was no pause to the action with more attacks coming in that Tom was unable to follow. As the gradient intensified, Tom’s group began to organise and set up work to limit losses. The gap between Tom’s closest rivals fluctuated between 7 to 27 seconds on the climb, but on the plateau to the finish the Dutch time trial champion rebounded from a tough climb and limited his losses to just 15 seconds. Tom now stands fourth overall, 53 seconds down on pink ahead of tomorrow’s final time trial in Milan.

REACTIONS

After the stage Tom said: “I’m proud of how I rode today, I feel mentally and physically much better than I did yesterday which is good. I need a really good day tomorrow to get that gap, it’s not going to be differences like in the last time trial because I’m really tired after this week in the mountains. It’s going to be tight with five of us so close but I will just focus on my own ride and see what happens.”

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Zakarin could also put in a really good TT tomorrow and looked really strong today. Nibali looked like dying was a possible option today ..

My top 3 - in no particular order.

TD

PINOT

ZAKARIN

Going to be an interesting day..which I will miss, I have to take my son through to RTB tomorrow [emoji35]

Agreed, but they are all fatigued.

If NQ had something in the bag and he rode like he did, then he would be an even bigger tit.

It's his strategy

Not a popularity contest

Conserve energy

Playing a long game

What interested me on Tweetiebird was, I think, Vaughters, saying that pure climbers are excellent at 21 stage TTs as opposed to the all-round GT contenders (according to history). ????

Someone remarked that it's been surprisingly dry with this Giro

No snow

No rain

Wonder if it's a first

Tommy D will be a seriaas threat on a flatter GC with ample time-trial ⚠️

Gonna be an interesting few seasons ahead

With Nairo aiming for a double this year, this will be a major disappointment if he fails to win the Giro given the competitors. I wonder how much this will knock his confidence going into the Tour.

Also, everyone looks more fatigued than the usual, unless it's just me that's noticed this. He's probably expended a lot more energy than what he was expecting to. Doesn't bode well for the Tour coming up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What interested me on Tweetiebird was, I think, Vaughters, saying that pure climbers are excellent at 21 stage TTs as opposed to the all-round GT contenders (according to history).

TdF 98' comes to mind. Pantani TT'ing to third on the day in a long final time trail, winning the tour that year

Someone remarked that it's been surprisingly dry with this Giro

No snow

No rain

Wonder if it's a first

Apparently 2012 was also dry..

It's his strategy

Not a popularity contest

Conserve energy

Playing a long game

What interested me on Tweetiebird was, I think, Vaughters, saying that pure climbers are excellent at 21 stage TTs as opposed to the all-round GT contenders (according to history). ????

I know it is and I actually understand it. A GC guy of his weight needs to wheel surf to win.

I just find it amusing that when Sky rides to a "strategy" it's frowned upon ;)

There was some really crap weather up in the Northern areas (where they are now) while the racing was in the South. Right time right place.

With Nairo aiming for a double this year, this will be a major disappointment if he fails to win the Giro given the competitors. I wonder how much this will knock his confidence going into the Tour.

Also, everyone looks more fatigued than the usual, unless it's just me that's noticed this. He's probably expended a lot more energy than what he was expecting to. Doesn't bode well for the Tour coming up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He is cooked that's for sure...This has been the most competitive Giro in many years and I have not seen GC guys suffer for seconds like that.They were completely maxed out in my opinion.

I would not bet on hom tomorrow...of the top 4 he is by far the worst TT rider on a flat route like that.

He is cooked that's for sure...This has been the most competitive Giro in many years and I have not seen GC guys suffer for seconds like that.They were completely maxed out in my opinion.

I would not bet on hom tomorrow...of the top 4 he is by far the worst TT rider on a flat route like that.

Flat and slightly downhill. .I hear it is quite technical too..

I still say Tom's got this, I would like to see Jakarin up in third, but it may be a step too far, he had a terrible first week with crashes and mechanical's and lost a lot of time, he did a fantastic job of making it up, better than any of the others, but its just a bit out of reach, otherwise I think he would have easily made podium.

I still say Tom's got this, I would like to see Jakarin up in third, but it may be a step too far, he had a terrible first week with crashes and mechanical's and lost a lot of time, he did a fantastic job of making it up, better than any of the others, but its just a bit out of reach, otherwise I think he would have easily made podium.

Zakattack is really impressive. I actually wondered why he was continuing after the first week. Karma was hating him.

Archived