bearing pullers and presses

Eddie Stafford

I Also do all my assembling and maintanace myself. Have rebuilt a couple of bikes and also assembled three bikes from scratch. All bearings (headset, shimano pressfit bb, sram pressfit bb, cannondale bb30,suspension pivot bearings) was installed with presses I made myself. I Do own a motor engineering workshop and have about the same skills on a lath as your average fitter and turner (witch helps in keeping manufacturing cost down to pretty much zero). Here is a pic of the two presses that does most of the work.

post-62204-0-89231600-1475768172_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just be warned that you do not attempt to knock out the an angular contact bearing with a punch - the bearing will break and leave the OD race still firmly pressed inside the housing and you will have to take it to a bike shop with a proper extractor tool to remove it.

Also when installing bearings, put them in a bag in the freezer overnight and leave the hub in the sun all morning. Makes life a bit easier...

Got my lbs to order me one of these from Rush Sports a while back.  Works brilliantly for removing and installing press fit BB's.

post-4408-0-33585900-1499925473.jpg

Also when installing bearings, put them in a bag in the freezer overnight and leave the hub in the sun all morning. Makes life a bit easier...

Dis ^

An a related topic, what are good suggestions for hacked tools to press on a new crown race?

Don't press it on, cut a slit in in so its split, easier to put on and take off when needed ;)

Got my lbs to order me one of these from Rush Sports a while back.  Works brilliantly for removing and installing press fit BB's.

attachicon.gifEnduro BRT-003.jpg

I can't believe we sell these to consumers (no offense) they are unreal tools made in the US by the same hands that work on bikes, and they don't come cheap. Buuuuuuuut... as the saying goes, "good tools don't come cheap and cheap tools don't come good". Nice going, thanks for the support!!

I can't believe we sell these to consumers (no offense) they are unreal tools made in the US by the same hands that work on bikes, and they don't come cheap. Buuuuuuuut... as the saying goes, "good tools don't come cheap and cheap tools don't come good". Nice going, thanks for the support!!

Well you didn't sell directly to me I had to order through a bike shop.  :whistling:

But yes it is an amazing piece of equipment.

I dont have experience yet wot BBs bit on my jeep i used a punch to take bearings out and a g clamp to get it back in. It's easier to work with a g clamp than a vice especially if you are alone. You need a washer big enough so you can press on the outside of the bearing otherwise you can damage the rollers inside

attachicon.gifEnduro BRT-003.jpg

R3k for this? I have just shown this to our Tool & Die and Fitter/Turner guys and they wanted to know what material that is made from....

Archived