Rapide Overdrive Stems

AlanD

Hubbers,

Had a chat to Rapide about what it will take to produce some overdrive 2 stems in the 45mm and/or 60mm versions as currently you can't get less than 60mm stem for the Giant Overdrive 2 system.

I know they dropped the overdrive from 2015 but I am sure there are riders that would like such stems that have the overdrive 2 systems.

So, what will it take for them to produce these stems? Approx. 100-200 pre-orders at a price of around R700 is what it will take to make it worthwhile. This would also include any international buyers that will be interested. It would be easier if they produce one length, say the 45mm.

Who would be interested in these stems? I certainly would be. If hubbers are part of any international forums then perhaps they could share this and get some more demand.

Here is the design they have:

post-57045-0-99397600-1475745568_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-42933300-1475745581_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlanD

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By Overdrive, I assume your meaning OverDrive2, aka OD2 ( 1 1/4 x 1 1/2) 

and not OverDrive, aka Standard tapered ( 1 1/8 x 1 1/2) 

Correct. Should have said OD2

Might be worthwhile making them backwards compatible by including a removable 1/16" wt shim. making it both OD 2 and regular steerer compatible. I've seen that in stems that take both 30.9mm and 35mm bars.

Else cant you just find a stem with a little machine stock available and bore it out from 1.1/8 to 1.1/4? instead of making 100 from scratch?

Might be worthwhile making them backwards compatible by including a removable 1/16" wt shim. making it both OD 2 and regular steerer compatible. I've seen that in stems that take both 30.9mm and 35mm bars.

Else cant you just find a stem with a little machine stock available and bore it out from 1.1/8 to 1.1/4? instead of making 100 from scratch?

Would that compromise the integrity of the stem? Not sure it's safe option.

Yes it would to a degree, but if they have a design for a stem they also know well the load cases and safety factors involved in a stem. Remove 1/8" bore diameter and do an FEA. if safe, make. if not, don't.

I'm pretty certain a "budget" stem isn't designed to the absolute design limit.

St the risk of sounding doff. What is the big deal with these stems and what does overdrive mean in terms of stems?

Think you will battle to find even 100 people that would buy this.

Market is very small, a lot of people upgraded their forks instead of messing with the OD2 steerers.

St the risk of sounding doff. What is the big deal with these stems and what does overdrive mean in terms of stems?

The overdrive 2 system is where the fork steerer tube is not the standard 1 1/8 but 1 1/4 meaning that standard stems are too small in diameter to fit onto the steerer and hence giant made specific stems but the shortest you can get is 60mm in that oversized stem.

The frame itself is the standard taper but giant have an upper headset bearing to fit their larger diameter steerer. So, to overcome this you can do two things

1) Try get someone to make shorter stems to fit the overdrive steerer tube or..

2) Buy a new fork with standard taper, upper headset bearing and then Amy stem you want.

Option is is by far cheaper BUT highly unlikely at this stage depending if more people want it.

Hope I explained that we'll enough.

Think you will battle to find even 100 people that would buy this.

Market is very small, a lot of people upgraded their forks instead of messing with the OD2 steerers.

Ja, thus is what I am thinking but worth a shot. Rather pricey to upgrade the fork????

what about this plus a shim?

11180.jpg

Is there shims available? Suppose you could make your own but it's expensive to import if you could find one.