This is why motorists get annoyed

IceCreamMan

I think the debate, to whatever end, would be far more constructive if we could avoid calling people 'idiots', or any other inconsiderate term. Often a valid message is undermined by the perceived tone in which it is delivered.

Like ????????

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the debate, to whatever end, would be far more constructive if we could avoid calling people 'idiots', or any other inconsiderate term. Often a valid message is undermined by the perceived tone in which it is delivered.

I like.

Play the ball, not the man :whistling:

No one cares if you think its a stupid rule -

I like.

Play the ball, not the man :whistling:

In retrospect maybe the term "idiot" could be construed as being too harsh in reply to being told my opinion is so unimportant that no one cares.  Clearly if the thread had been read from the beginning a clear correlation between my post in relation to the OP and other posts I made on this thread would have been established.

The irony of motorists getting held up by a long string of cyclists OBEYING every law compared to motorists getting held up by a short string of cyclists BREAKING the law was clearly too subtle.

Only difference I can see is my photos have no question of me breaking the law as the camera was on my bike with both a front and rear light.

Thing is we need to go about it constructively, eg: if we as cyclist decide that riding 5 abreast is our right and that cars can wait regardless, it's not going to end well.....

We need to increase our lobbying at city, provincial and national level.

Provincial and National transport departments are very aware of the number of deaths on our roads, estimates are closer to 20,000 than are actually disclosed, as well as the importance of on Non Motorised Transport (NMT).

There is currently a review in process on NMT and it's place in moving SA, 3 areas that I think cycling needs consideration are:

extensive cycle lanes - separation of motor vehicles and cycles is the safest way.

liability for accidents - motorist must prove no liability rather than cyclist must prove liability. Countries with liability laws have far lower accident and death rates.

Passing distance - stay wider of the rider.

The issue of single file is brought about through a lack of respect for the cyclist and thinking that if they keep left everything will be ok. In the Western Cape when one metre became law the reason for introducing single file was a cop out because "many roads are not wide enough to allow for safe over taking".

The National Legislation has not changed at all to reflect the growth in cycling, both commuting and sport, nor the growth in vehicle numbers since it was first promulgated.

If we keep quiet nothing will change. If we lobby hard nothing will change but at least we fought the valiant fight?

Cycling South Africa really needs to form a commuting section that champions making conditions safer on the roads for all cyclists.

Provincial and National transport departments are very aware of the number of deaths on our roads, estimates are closer to 20,000 than are actually disclosed, as well as the importance of on Non Motorised Transport (NMT).

There is currently a review in process on NMT and it's place in moving SA, 3 areas that I think cycling needs consideration are:

extensive cycle lanes - separation of motor vehicles and cycles is the safest way.

liability for accidents - motorist must prove no liability rather than cyclist must prove liability. Countries with liability laws have far lower accident and death rates.

The issue of single file is brought about through a lack of respect for the cyclist and thinking that if they keep left everything will be ok. In the Western Cape when one metre became law the reason for introducing single file was a cop out because "many roads are not wide enough to allow for safe over taking".

The National Legislation has not changed at all to reflect the growth in cycling, both commuting and sport, nor the growth in vehicle numbers since it was first promulgated.

If we keep quiet nothing will change. If we lobby hard nothing will change but at least we fought the valiant fight?

Cycling South Africa really needs to form a commuting section that champions making conditions safer on the roads for all cyclists.

You make good points and it's a stance that I could get behind.

Are you attending the CSA Safety seminar later this month?

Now that is a great idea.

A question, if I may, what other organisations lobby on behalf of cyclists? PPA? Arrive Alive? And do CSA currently meaningfully tackle safety for its current membership? 

100% and the bolded part is very important.  People in Germany also have their moments with being irritated by cyclists.  But you will not find them endangering them because they are not towing the line. 

Now that is a great idea.

A question, if I may, what other organisations lobby on behalf of cyclists? PPA? Arrive Alive? And do CSA currently meaningfully tackle safety for its current membership? 

No, but they do anticipate that you will get run over by a taxi by including RoadCover and Hollard vaps.

No, but they do anticipate that you will get run over by a taxi by including RoadCover and Hollard vaps.

Oh dear...coffee....keyboard....now intimate with one another. :clap:

"Cycling South Africa really needs to form a commuting section that champions making conditions safer on the roads for all cyclists."

Could that involve lobbying for signage similar to the "Beware Cyclists" red sign in the UK and Multiple Usage pathway/roadway signs I've seen somewhere, Germany I think?

Hmm - I sat behind motorists this morning on my commute that were taking up the whole lane, crawling along at a ridiculously slow speed, oblivious to all the road users around them, and yet, I managed to not post a picture of the whole scene on a motoring forum.

It's called traffic - sometimes I'm going to slow cars down, and sometimes they are going to slow me down. Swings and roundabouts. Calm down and move on...

"Cycling South Africa really needs to form a commuting section that champions making conditions safer on the roads for all cyclists."

Could that involve lobbying for signage similar to the "Beware Cyclists" red sign in the UK and Multiple Usage pathway/roadway signs I've seen somewhere, Germany I think?

Which signs are you reffering to?

All over greenside this morning groups of cyclists riding like this. One thing doing it in the cradle, completely different doing it in the suburbs. The guy behind me was getting very agitated. Ultimately we the ones that get hurt.

Ride behind them and get on the hooter, the first one to raise a finger or give lip I hope gets a bloody good hiding from someone.

As has been said, they are their own worst enemies.

Good thing one of them didn't drop a chain or something.

You'd have no time to stop while taking a pic with your phone while driving behind them

Really..., great response! They are idiots for riding like that.

Which signs are you reffering to?

The red one is rectangular with the text in yellow or white.

The round blue sign in Germany with the pedestrian and cyclist, they're usually at the beginning of a path through the woods or along a waterway and at some crossings I seem to remember.

The red one is rectangular with the text in yellow or white.

The round blue sign in Germany with the pedestrian and cyclist, they're usually at the beginning of a path through the woods or along a waterway and at some crossings I seem to remember.

post-71-0-37761300-1476797254_thumb.png

These ones are the ones that you see all over the place.  It is actually compulsionary to cycle on these roads if you have choice between this and normal street traffic.

post-71-0-72695600-1476797274.png

This one normally is used with a pedestrian walkway.  It means you are allowed to cycle there but pedestrians have the right of way.  It is the cyclists choice if he wants to use the walkway and is allowed to rather ride in the street.,

post-71-0-14127500-1476797288.jpg

This is telling motorists to beware of cyclists on the road.  We have this in SA as well but it is actually ignored by most motorists I think.

post-71-0-84295500-1476797307.jpg

This is a normal Cycling prohibited sign.  Normally on any road that has more than one lane.  There will normally be a cycle path alternative close by.

Archived