Race distance prior to 94.7

FHB

Good day all.

I would like to pose a question to you, and would like to seek your opinions/ advice etc.

I have entered the 94.7 and going in the MM batch (reason been that I did not do any road races, but been riding (exercising) on my roadbike quite a bit.

The same with MTB, did a few races, but mostly just train with the MTB.

My fitness level is okay, as I can sustain 4hours in the saddle easy on my MTB with an ave of 22km/h.

Roadbike I can do about 26km/h fior about 3 hours, given that there are about 500-1000m elevation in this as well.

Now my question is this, I would like to enter the macsteel challenge. The options are 65km or 103 kms.

Being that this is 2 weeks prior to 94.7, would you say that I do the 103 and then rest a bit (I will do minimal training the week before 94.7 as to rest up), or go for the 65? Bear in mind that I am fittish, weigh 130kgs (used to play prop) and can hold my own on the flats and downhill, uphill is still a bit of a struggle.

As mentioned, I know there will be 1000 different answers, but let me have your opinion please.

Go for the 103km. Its pretty flat and if you can average 26km/h for 3 hours with some elevation by yourself then for this race you should be able to find some people to ride together with and comfortably finish the 103km which will then be a big confidence booster for the 947.

You are reasonably fit, Macsteel is not a hilly race and 2 weeks is ample time to recover. Go for the 103!

Good day all.

I would like to pose a question to you, and would like to seek your opinions/ advice etc.

I have entered the 94.7 and going in the MM batch (reason been that I did not do any road races, but been riding (exercising) on my roadbike quite a bit.

My fitness level is okay, as I can sustain 4hours in the saddle easy on my MTB with an ave of 22km/h.

Roadbike I can do about 26km/h fior about 3 hours, given that there are about 500-1000m elevation in this as well.

Now my question is this, I would like to enter the macsteel challenge. The options are 65km or 103 kms.

Being that this is 2 weeks prior to 94.7, would you say that I do the 103 and then rest a bit (I will do minimal training the week before 94.7 as to rest up), or go for the 65? Bear in mind that I am fittish, weigh 130kgs (used to play prop) and can hold my own on the flats and downhill, uphill is still a bit of a struggle.

As mentioned, I know there will be 1000 different answers, but let me have your opinion please.

Race is on 20 Nov...........still 4 weeks to go.........three weekends...........

The Carnival will be shorter and flatter than my normal training rides- so I will race it hard as part of training for 94.7.

It is still 2 weeks before the race so I doubt it will have any influence.

Most will rest up/taper 2 to 3 days before the 94.7, some will even ride on the Saturday (twitter ride) else just a short ride.

Plenty of info on the web about tapering too early :)

go for the 103.

and read up more on tapering, as Shaper mentioned. Doing it too early will probably mean you arrive at 947 on "stale" legs.

Go for the 103km. Its pretty flat and if you can average 26km/h for 3 hours with some elevation by yourself then for this race you should be able to find some people to ride together with and comfortably finish the 103km which will then be a big confidence booster for the 947.

THIS... :thumbup:

You are reasonably fit, Macsteel is not a hilly race and 2 weeks is ample time to recover. Go for the 103!

THIS... :clap:

The Carnival will be shorter and flatter than my normal training rides- so I will race it hard as part of training for 94.7.

It is still 2 weeks before the race so I doubt it will have any influence.

AND THIS... :thumbup:  do the 103. It's fairly flattish and try to stick to the bunch, or a few guys that can pull you through - it's an awesome race go and enjoy and put FOOT...you have ample time to recover for 94.7 

Good day all.

Everything that everyone said above, as well as the following:

The 103Km (and 125Km for the licensed men) Carnival Macsteel National Classic results will be used for every Racetec timed event going forward. You stand a better chance of getting a better seeding index at this event, purely because the groups will be smaller and chance are you'll be riding with stronger cyclists compared to group MM at the Cycle Challenge. As a result, you'll start other races (even next year's Cycle Challenge) earlier.

Entries will be extended after tonight's deadline, so don't delay - enter now.

Thanks all. Entered for the 103. Really appreciate the advice. See you on the starting line!

Thanks all. Entered for the 103. Really appreciate the advice. See you on the starting line!

Great decision - see you there !

Archived